The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) intends to contribute to the support of good governance and civil society structures in selected partner countries and regions.
Application Deadline: 31st July 2023
Eligible Countries: Developing Countries
To be taken at (country): Germany
About the Award: This programme is designed to further qualify future leaders in politics, law, economics and administration according to the principles of good governance and to prepare them in a praxis-oriented course for their professional life.
Very good graduates with a first university degree get the chance to obtain a master’s degree in disciplines that are of special relevance to the social, political and economic development of their home country.
The knowledge and experience acquired in Germany should enable the scholarship holders to later contribute to the establishment of democratically oriented economic and social systems aimed at overcoming social differences.
In addition, the training at German higher education institutions should qualify the scholarship holders to partner in political and economic cooperation with Germany.
- The scholarship scheme is open to graduates in the field of social sciences, political sciences, law, economics and in public administration from Africa, Latin America, South Asia and Southeast Asia, from countries in the Middle East as well as from Ukraine.
- The programme is open for very well-qualified graduates with a first university degree (bachelor or equivalent) who want to actively contribute to the social and economic development of their home countries.
- The scholarships are offered both for young graduates without professional experience and for mid-career professionals.
Selection Criteria: The main DAAD criteria for selection are the following:
- the study results so far
- knowledge of English (and German)
- political and social engagement
- a convincing description of the subject-related and
- personal motivation for the study project in Germany and the expected benefit when returning to the home country.
- The latest university degree should have been obtained during the six years before the application for the scholarship.
- Applicants cannot be considered if they have stayed in Germany for more than 15 months at the time of application.
All master´s courses have further additional requirements that the applicants must fulfil in any case.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Program:
- Scholarships (of currently € 861 per month) for master´s degree courses at German higher education institutions.
- Academic education in the courses of study selected by the DAAD listed below, will take place from September/October 2023. The courses of study have an international focus and are offered in German and/or English.
- Health insurance cover in Germany
- Appropriate travel allowances for travel between Germany and the developing countries in question and Germany
- A study and research grant
- Rent subsidies and family supplements, as applicable
How to Apply: Applications have to be submitted in German or English. Please indicate that you are applying for the DAAD Helmut-Schmidt Programme (Master’s scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance).
It is important to go through the Application requirements in the Program Webpage before applying.
Award Provider: DAAD – Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (German Academic Exchange Prograam)