Scholarship Name: Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Programme – JJ/WBGSP
Brief description: The Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Programme – JJ/WBGSP call for applications from developing country nationals and Japanese nationals for master degree programs starting this 2016-2017 academic year to open on February 10 and close March 10 2016.
Accepted Subject Areas
Eligible applicants should propose a program of study related to development at the master’s level, in fields such as economics, health, education, agriculture, environment, natural resource management, or other development‑related subject.
The World Bank and the Government of Japan, through the Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program, offer scholarships for Masters Degree to postgraduate students from developing countries. It is anticipated that scholars would return to their countries to apply their enhanced knowledge and skills towards helping accelerate the pace of economic and social development.
Scholarship Offered Since: Not Specified
Scholarship Type: Masters Scholarship for developing world bank member countries
Eligible applications are assessed according to three main factors: academic excellence, professional experience, and relevance of program of study. Priority is given to candidates from the public sector with a high potential to impact the development in their own countries after completion of their studies
To apply for a JJ/WBGSP scholarship under the Regular Program, an applicant must:
- Be citizen of a World Bank member country eligible to borrow;
- Not hold dual citizenship of a developed country;
- Be under the age of 45 on the Application Deadline date;
- Hold a Bachelor (or equivalent) degree earned at least 3 years prior to application deadline;
- Have 3 years or more of recent development-related work experience after earning a Bachelor (or equivalent) degree;
- Not be a staff member (which includes consultants) or relative of a staff member of the World Bank Group;
- Be in good health;
- Be accepted unconditionally to enroll in the upcoming academic year in one of JJWBGSP preferred master programs;
- Submit a completed JJWBGSP application by the Application Deadline date
Number of Scholarships: Several
Scholarship benefits: The JJ/WBGSP scholarship provides annual awards to cover the cost of completing a master’s degree or its equivalent. The awards are given for one year and, provided that the academic program is longer than one year, may be renewed for a second consecutive year or a portion thereof, subject to satisfactory academic performance in the first year and the availability of funds.
The scholarship provides benefits for the recipient only, covering:
- economy class air travel between the home country and the host university at the start of the study program and one return journey following the end of the overall scholarship period. In addition to the ticket, scholars receive a US $500 travel allowance for each trip;
- tuition and the cost of basic medical and accident insurance usually obtained through the university;
- a monthly subsistence allowance to cover living expenses, including books.
Duration: The proposed program of study should start during the academic year 2016/2017 for a maximum duration of two years.
Eligible Countries: Developing countries eligible to borrow from the World Bank
To be taken at (country): One of the preferred university (see link below)
Application Deadline: You need to apply to the university to get accepted into the program and also apply directly to JJ/WBGSP for the scholarship. The deadline for JJ/WBGSP scholarship applications for the academic year 2016-17 is 10 March, 2015.
Offered annually? Yes
How to Apply
Applicants are strongly encouraged to use the online application form available in English, French, or Spanish
Sponsors: The Government of Japan and the World Bank