The Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Programme – JJ/WBGSP calls for applications from developing country nationals and Japanese nationals for master degree programs starting this 2017/2018 academic year.
Application Deadline: 23rd February, 2017
Offered annually? Yes
Accepted Subject Areas: Eligible applicants should propose a program of study related to development at the master’s level, in fields such as economics, health, education, agriculture, environment, natural resource management, or other development‑related subject.
About Scholarship: The World Bank and the Government of Japan, through the Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program, offer scholarships for Masters Degree to postgraduate students from developing countries. It is anticipated that scholars would return to their countries to apply their enhanced knowledge and skills towards helping accelerate the pace of economic and social development.
Selection Criteria: Eligible applications are assessed according to three main factors: academic excellence, professional experience, and relevance of program of study. Priority is given to candidates from the public sector with a high potential to impact the development in their own countries after completion of their studies
Eligibility: To apply for a JJ/WBGSP scholarship under the Regular Program, an applicant must:
- Be citizen of a World Bank member country eligible to borrow;
- Not hold dual citizenship of a developed country;
- Be under the age of 45 on the Application Deadline date;
- Hold a Bachelor (or equivalent) degree earned at least 3 years prior to application deadline;
- Have 3 years or more of recent development-related work experience after earning a Bachelor (or equivalent) degree;
- Not be a staff member (which includes consultants) or relative of a staff member of the World Bank Group;
- Be in good health;
- Be accepted unconditionally to enroll in the upcoming academic year in one of JJWBGSP preferred master programs;
- Submit a completed JJWBGSP application by the Application Deadline date
Number of Scholarships: Several
Scholarship benefits: The JJ/WBGSP scholarship provides annual awards to cover the cost of completing a master’s degree or its equivalent. The awards are given for one year and, provided that the academic program is longer than one year, may be renewed for a second consecutive year or a portion thereof, subject to satisfactory academic performance in the first year and the availability of funds.
The scholarship provides benefits for the recipient only, covering:
- economy class air travel between the home country and the host university at the start of the study program and one return journey following the end of the overall scholarship period. In addition to the ticket, scholars receive a US $500 travel allowance for each trip;
- tuition and the cost of basic medical and accident insurance usually obtained through the university;
- a monthly subsistence allowance to cover living expenses, including books.
Duration: The proposed program of study should start during the academic year 2017/2018 for a maximum duration of two years.
Eligible Countries: Developing countries eligible to borrow from the World Bank
To be taken at (country): One of the preferred university (see link below)
How to Apply: Applicants are strongly encouraged to use the online application form available in English, French, or Spanish
Visit the Scholarship Webpage for Details
Sponsors: The Government of Japan and the World Bank