The AUC-funded Empower Scholarship offers five full and/or partial annual scholarships to thanawiya amma graduates from five governorates in Upper Egypt: Assiut, Bani Suef, Minya, Sohag and Fayoum
Application Deadline: 1st June 2017
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Egypt
To be taken at (country): Egypt
About the Award: Building upon the success of the Public School Scholarship Fund and Leadership for Education and Development scholarships, the Empower scholarship aims to provide the best public and private national school students with an opportunity to pursue their academic career at AUC.
The Empower Scholarship focuses on fundamental human rights education as the key to a more tolerant, diverse and democratic Egypt. Through high-quality academic support, leadership development activities and civic engagement opportunities and partnerships with reputable and well-established Egyptian and international nongovernmental organizations, the program fosters civic responsibility, leadership, cross-cultural competence, professionalism and tolerance.
Empower scholars will learn the necessary skills to become engaged citizens and effective change agents. They will acquire necessary knowledge and training to advocate for the respect and protection of human rights through mobilizing key governmental and nongovernmental players across the Arab world to work together toward solutions for common human rights challenges.
Empower graduates will be able to compete in a global market in different specializations and join the cadres of civil society associations, government and private entities, hence integrating the values of dignity, freedom, equality and nondiscrimination in shaping and/or impacting future policies in all fields.
- Public or private national high school graduate with demonstrated financial need
- An active member in school activities or in the local community
- A minimum score of 95 percent in thanawiya amma in the science division and 90 percent in the non-science division
- Adequate English-language skills as demonstrated by the IELTS/iBT exam
- Adequate communication skills
- Orientation and commitment to public service
- Potential for further leadership development
Number of Awardees: 5
Value of Scholarship: Scholarships are fully/partially funded. Selected students benefit from AUC’s liberal arts education, diverse majors and extensive student-life services, and will also have the benefit of enrollment in the John D. Gerhart Center for Philanthropy, Civic Engagement and Responsible Business’s youth leadership and civic engagement programs.
How to Apply:
- Program application
- Financial application
- A copy of the applicant’s birth certificate
- A letter from the school’s administration identifying the type of school (i.e., governmental, private or experimental)
- Official copy of third preparatory, first secondary and second secondary high-school certificates
- Official copy of the thanawiya amma certificate upon announcement of the grades
- Proof of extracurricular activities ( i.e. copy of certificates)
- Recent official valid IELTS test results, with a minimum score of 5.5 in both writing and total score or TOEFL iBT test results with a minimum of (62-75) as a total score and a minimum of (17-19) in writing.
Send the above documents using registered mail with notification request to:
AUC Avenue, P.O. Box 74, New Cairo 11835, Egypt.
Award Provider: American University of Cairo (AUC)