Professional services are occupations that belong to the tertiary sector of the economy. A professional service is an intangible product a person sells to a customer to help in growing a specific part of the customer’s business. Professional services usually require special training in the arts or sciences. Some of the professional services also require special licenses to operate. Basically, professional services can be offered by any profession or firm that offers specialized knowledge, advice, support or other services to their clients. Some of these professional service providers include accountants, lawyers, engineers, and so on. Professional service firms are not like other organizations as they sell their customized knowledge and expertise, not physical products. Professional service firms provide relief to their clients by using their expertise to solve the little problems their clients may face.
What Professional Services you Should Consider
There are many occupations that offer professional services. Some of the professional service occupations one should consider are:
- IT consultant
- Management consultant
- Financial planner
- Training and development
- Investment manager
- Veterinary physician
Best Professional Programs you Should Apply to
There are various programs available for study in the professional line of work. Some of the best programs will be discussed below.
- Engineering: This is one of the best professional programs a person can apply to. Engineering provides the opportunity to get jobs in different places. It is divided into many aspects such as
- Petroleum engineering which involves the mining and extraction of oil for countries that depend on petroleum products.
- Electrical engineering involves the study of electronics and all things related to energy.
- Civil engineering is concerned with buildings, roads, and all infrastructures.
- Computer engineering is all about networking, web development, software and anything related to computers.
- Law:- Law is a prestigious professional program one can apply for. It comprises different courses one can pursue such as criminal law, company law, commercial law, contract law and so on. To become a lawyer, a person needs to study law at the university first before going to a law school.
- Project Management Professional (PMP):- PMP is one of the best professional programs offered in the world. It is offered by the Project Management Institute for persons who are interested in managing projects. This program is open to anybody in any field of learning. It usually takes up to six months and more to become a professional project manager.
- Chartered accounting:- This is another occupation that offers professional services to its clients. It is a program that teaches financial planning, cost accounting, taxation, auditing to assist businesses. To become a chartered accountant, you need to take a professional exam to join the Institute of Chartered Accountants of your country.
- Financial Risk Management:- This is a professional program open to people who study financial related courses. This program is concerned with financial planning, financial consulting, insurance, investments, risk management and others.
Scholarships for Professional Services/Programs
- Wiley Accounting Program for International Students:- This scholarship is open to students who want to study any accounting related course. The scholarship is offered by Wiley efficient learning and can be taken in the USA. It is worth $500.
- Applicants are accepted from any nationality.
- Applicants must pursue a degree in the accounting field.
- Applicants must be university students either full time or part-time.
- Applicants must provide proof of studentship to receive the scholarship award.
- CDT in prosthetics and orthotics international funding:- This scholarship is offered by the Center for Doctoral Training(CDT) in the University of Strathclyde, UK. It is open to undergraduate students and is worth £100,000. The scholarship can be taken in the UK.
- Applicants can be from any country.
- Applicants must be in the field of biomedical engineering or prosthetics and orthotics.
- Engineering tuition fee scholarship:- The engineering tuition fee scholarship and Dean’s bursary is offered by the Federation University in Australia. This scholarship is open to both undergraduate and masters students. The benefit of this scholarship is 16% of the tuition fee and an additional $1150.
- Applications are accepted from students all over the world.
- Applicants must be pursuing a degree in engineering honors, engineering project management or engineering technology.
- Applicants must be current students in a university with proof of studentship.
- Postgraduate awards for domestic and international students:- This scholarship is offered by the University of Auckland, New Zealand for postgraduate students. It is worth $10,000.
- Applications are open to students of any nationality.
- Applicants must pursue a degree in master of law, master of legal studies and master of taxation at the Auckland law school.
- Architecture International Excellence Scholarship:- This scholarship is offered by the University of Salford for undergraduate and postgraduate students. The scholarship is worth £5000.
- Applicants are accepted from any country.
- Applicants must be pursuing a degree in the architecture field.
- Applicants must be students of Salford University.
Professional service occupations are very lucrative occupations. They offer specialized services that cannot be carried out by a person who is not a trained professional. A great deal of effort is required but it is rewarding.