TWAS-ICCBS Postgraduate Fellowship in Chemical and Biological Sciences 2019 for Students from Developing Countries – Pakistan
The International Centre for Chemical and Biological Sciences (ICCBS) and TWAS offer fellowships for young scientists from developing countries (other than Pakistan) who wish to pursue research towards a PhD in chemical and biological sciences.
Application Deadline: 15th July 2019
Eligible Countries: Developing Countries other than Pakistan
To Be Taken At (Country): Pakistan
About the Award: TWAS-ICCBS Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable at the International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences (ICCBS) – comprising the H.E.J. Research Institute of Chemistry and the Dr. Panjwani Center for Molecular and Drug Research – for a period of up to four years for studies leading to a PhD degree in the following fields: organic chemistry, biochemistry, biotechnology, molecular medicine, pharmacology, physical chemistry or analytical chemistry.
Applicants may be registered for a PhD degree in their home country (SANDWICH option), or may enrol in a PhD course at ICCBS (FULL-TIME option).
- SANDWICH Fellowships (for those registered for a PhD in their home country): The Fellowship may be granted for a minimum period of 6 months and a maximum period to be decided with ICCBS. Under the sandwich option, TWAS covers only one return journey to the host country.
- FULL-TIME Fellowships (for those willing to register for a PhD in Pakistan)
Fields of Study:
02-Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
03-Biological Systems and Organisms
04-Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences
Type: PhD, Research, Fellowship
Eligibility: Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the year of application,
- hold a Master’s degree in a field of natural sciences;
- be nationals of a developing country (other than Pakistan);
- must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Pakistan or any developed country;
- provide a certificate of good health from a qualified medical doctor;
- for SANDWICH Fellowships: be registered PhD students in their home country and provide the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” from the HOME university (see sample on page 6) OR
- FULL-TIME Fellowships: be willing to register at the University of Karachi (Pakistan);
- provide an official Acceptance Letter from the supervisor or head of department at ICCBS. Requests for acceptance must be directed to the Director of ICCBS (Prof. M.I. Choudhary at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com) who will facilitate assignment of a host supervisor. In contacting Prof. Choudhary, applicants must accompany their request for a preliminary acceptance letter with copy of their CV and a research proposal outline and two reference letters;
- provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
- provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: ICCBS will provide a monthly stipend which should be used to cover living costs, such as food, accommodation, local transportation and incidental minor illness. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
Duration of Programme: 4 years
How to Apply:
- Applicants must submit an Acceptance Letter from ICCBS when applying, or by the deadline at the latest. Without preliminary acceptance the application will not be considered for selection
- Reference letters must be on letter-headed paper and SIGNED.
- Please be advised that applicants may apply for only one programme per calendar year in the TWAS and OWSD portfolio. Applicants will not be eligible to visit another institution in that year under the TWAS Visiting Professorprogrammes. One exception: The head of an institution who invites an external scholar to share his/her expertise under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes may still apply for another programme.
- Applications can only be accepted via the online portal using the apply now button at the bottom of this page.