Top 5 Countries to Stay Back in After Graduation?

Spread the love

After graduation, it is every student’s dream to get a good job that will enable them to achieve their goals. One of the top reasons students travel abroad to study is to broaden their knowledge, which will improve the quality of their lives. As an international student, you’re not only considering the study options when you start applying to universities but also have it at the back of your mind to consider the countries with the most favorable post-study options too. 

Studying abroad can also be very expensive, while some students have the opportunity to access scholarships, grants, and other aids, some other students have to save or go through the student loan route which means they have to pay it back gradually, and the only way they can pay back is by getting a job. This is why you also have to study the post-study conditions each country offers before you proceed with your admission. 

Get Up to $100,000 Student Loan for Your Master in US or Canada - See if you are eligible

Got Admission to Study in US or Canada? See if you are eligible for international student loan

In this article, we will explore the top 5 countries with the best post-study options for international students.

What is a Post-Study Work Visa?

A post-study work visa is a visa that allows international students who have completed their studies to stay back for a designated period legally to work. Different countries have their criteria and the number of years students can stay in the country. 

Top 5 Countries with best post-study visas for international students. 

Below is a list of the top 5 countries with the best post-study opportunities for international students:

1. Canada

For international students who know how to speak English, Canada is part of the top options as it is also an English-speaking country. It has a robust and growing economy, abundant natural resources, strong infrastructure, a conducive environment, and progressive infrastructure that makes it a top destination for international students who want to study and then start working afterward. 

Additionally, Canada is also home to some of the top universities in the world according to the QS world ranking. Recently the Canadian government launched an express entry invitation for individuals skilled in the STEM field. This visa allows professionals in selected fields to work in the country. 

Also, students who studied in a designated learning institution (DLI) can access the Post-Graduation Work Permit too. Consequently, they are to hold a valid temporary status in Canada or must have left the country, and then prove that they were full-time students when they were studying in the country. Furthermore, eligible students should also be able to prove that they did not receive any funding from  Global Affairs Canada (GAC) and that they completed more than 50% of their credits while they were in school. 

Eligibility Criteria for Post-Graduation Work Permit in Canada

  • Applicants must hold a valid temporary status or must have left Canada.
  • They must have completed an academic, vocational, or professional program at an eligible institution in Canada with a minimum of 8 months duration leading to a degree, diploma, or certificate. 
  • They were full-time students during their academic sessions.
  • They must have received a transcript and official letter from the eligible DLI that confirms that 
  • They have received a transcript and an official letter from the eligible DLI confirming that they have met the requirements to complete their program of study. These documents must be included in the post-graduate work permit application. 

Duration of Stay: 8 months to 3 years. The length is dependent on the duration of your course of study. For more information, see the Government of Canada’s ‘Work in Canada after you graduate’ page.

2. Australia

Australia offers quality education as it has some of the best universities in the world according to the QS world ranking. Additionally, it also has vibrant cities, stunning branches, and beautiful landscapes. The benefits of picking Australia as a destination do not just end there as students can also apply for the Temporary Graduate Visa which allows them to stay for a minimum of two years and a maximum of four years after graduation, depending on the course studied. 

Eligibility Criteria for Post-Graduation Visa in Australia

The post-graduation visa in Australia enables international students to live, study, and work abroad after they have completed their studies. They can also bring their family members to live with them.  The eligibility criteria include: 

  • Applicants must be below 50 years
  • They should have a student visa within the past 6 months.
  • They should have a degree in a course that is registered by CRICOS
  • Also, they are to provide evidence to show that they have applied for an AFP check. 
  • Applicants must provide evidence of the required level of English included in the application
  • They should also have an eligible visa
  • Finally, they are to provide evidence of adequate health insurance too. 

It is also important to note that a bachelor’s or a master’s degree will earn you 2 years to to work in the country, a research master’s degree will earn you 3 years, while a PhD will earn you 4 years. 

3. New Zealand

There are lots of opportunities to be harnessed by international students in New Zealand. It equally houses some of the best universities in the world according to the QS world ranking. It has strong and growing opportunities and there is also demand for professionals in certain fields.  Civil, mechanical, and geotechnical engineers are some of the high-in-demand professionals in this country. 

As a beautiful and peaceful country, New Zealand provides post-study work visas for international students which enables them to stay in the country for a maximum of three years. 

Eligibility Criteria for Post-Study Work Permit in New Zealand

It is pertinent to know that the post-study work permit enables international students to stay for as long as 3 years in New Zealand after the completion of their course. Also, they can work for any employer in any job if they have a degree level 7 or above qualification. The eligibility criteria are

4. United States of America

The United States of America has always been known as the land of opportunities. In addition to the fact that it houses some of the best universities in the world according to the QS world ranking, it also houses lots of business establishments and companies and the presence of these provides opportunities to international students. 

The average salary of an engineer in the United States is $103,795 per year. Additionally, the country is also a good place for STEM professionals to pitch their careers. The growing economy, dedication to research, and the flexibility to adapt to changes give professionals an edge to thrive in this country.  Moreover, the United States is home to some of the top 10 universities in the world like Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Stanford University, University of California, Berkeley (UCB) among others.

In the United States, graduates who possess the F1 visa are permitted to stay back and work for a while, there is also the STEM OPT opportunity that allows students who majored in STEM, to stay back for an additional 2 years. 

Eligibility Criteria for OPT in the US

OPT is the acronym for Optional Practical Training, it allows international students to stay an additional 12 months after the completion of their courses. The eligibility criteria include: 

  • Applicants must have a valid F-1 visa
  • They should be a student in an educational institution in the US
  • They are to work in a job related to their field of study.
  • Applicants should not have criminal records during their stay in the US
  • They should be enrolled in a school for at least one year. 

Eligibility Criteria for STEM OPT in the US

STEM OPT is open for students who majored in STEM courses, it allows them the opportunity to stay for an additional 24 months after the completion of the initial 12-month program. The eligibility requirements are:

1. Valid Post-Completion OPT: International students hold a valid post-completion OPT status. This is to indicate that they have been allowed to engage in practical training after the completion of their studies at the university. 

2. Accredited Degree: Students are required to have a valid degree. It could be a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree. Additionally, the school you attended and the course you studied must be recognized and accredited respectively by the U.S. Department of Education-accredited agency.

3. Past STEM Degrees: If you are currently engaging in the 12-month OPT program based on a non-STEM course, you will have to use a previous STEM degree from a US institution to apply for the STEM OPT extension. Like it was stated above, both the degree and the institution must be accredited and recognized respectively by the proper institutions in the United States. 

4. Employer Requirements: Additionally, you are expected to work for an employer in an organization that is outlined and endorsed in the STEM OPT Employer Responsibilities section.

Furthermore, international students are also expected to submit Form I-765 Application for Employment Authorization within 90 days before the expiration of their current OPT employment authorization, and within 60 days of the DSO (Designated School Official) entering the OPT recommendation into your SEVIS record. 

5. Germany

Germany is a good country to study in. Throughout history, we have had good mathematicians, physicists, and biologists who have Germany as their country of origin. There is a high demand for professionals in the industrial sector so STEM graduates have the opportunity of getting employed. The country has also grown to become one of the study hubs for students who want to study abroad as it is a good place to maintain a work-life balance. 

Eligibility Criteria for Post-Study Work Permit in Germany

The eligibility requirements for a post-study work permit in Germany include: 

  • After the completion of your program, you will have 18 months to get a work visa to remain in the country.
  • Applicants need to have evidence of completion of their academic course (transcript/university degree). 
  • Additionally, they should hold an active health insurance policy.
  • They also need proof of funds to support the cost of living while they look for a job. 

International students can harness the time given to them to work in these countries for a specific duration of time. If they are prudent enough, they will be able to maximize the opportunity to the fullest and then have access to bigger ones. 

Let’s help you

Seeking to study in the United States of America? Enrolling in the top universities in the world can increase your chances with employers. Unfortunately, it can be quite expensive to study abroad due to the current economic crisis. But this shouldn’t limit you as there are other options you can explore to enhance your career. 

MPower Finance and Prodigy Finance are some of the best student loan providers for international students. They also do not require any cosigner or collateral before application. At EdXtra Associates, we can help you with your loan application process. We also provide educational consultancy services for international students to help make your journey easier and faster. You can reach out to us, as we’d love to guide you through this journey. 

Is this post helpful? Subscribe to our newsletter for more.

Read also:

Google For Startups Accelerator: AI First 2024 For African Startups

These 5 STEM Skills Are In Short Supply In Canada…

Universities In Canada Without Application Fee

How To Get A Graduate Assistantship In The US

Universities In The US That Do Not Require Application Fees?