Applications are NOW OPEN for the second edition of the IGNITE Food Systems Challenge in Rwanda. Apply below.
When is Application Deadline?
31st March 2023
Tell Me About Award:
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) and Impact Hub Kigali (IHK), with the support of USAID Bureau of Humanitarian Affairs (BHA) and the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, are looking for solutions in Rwanda that address food insecurity through strengthening food systems. The IGNITE Food Systems Challenge supports the scaling of innovative Startups, MSMEs, and cooperatives with commercially viable solutions to address gaps in the food system. Each selected venture will receive up to $30,000 in grant funding & 4 months curated technical support to address business gaps.
What Countries are Eligible?
Where will Award Take Place?
Who is Eligible?
We are looking for Startups, Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs), and cooperatives with commercially viable solutions to strengthen the food system.
While all food systems solutions are invited to apply, solutions that address the following areas are particularly encouraged to apply:
- Gender Transformative Food Systems: Food systems solutions that aim to empower women, through employment opportunities or business impact.
- Circular Economy Solutions: Solutions that help reduce the environmental impact of the food system, promote greater resource efficiency, and support a more sustainable and resilient food system.
How are Applicants Selected?
- Your entity must possess a valid registration/certificate of incorporation for operating in Rwanda and at least 1 year of operation
- Have proof of a revenue-generating business (total turnover in the case of cooperatives) of at least the equivalent of USD 5,000 for the full year of 2022
- Be a team of at least three full-time members dedicated to the MSME/cooperative, including the founding team
- At least 50% of your founding and/or senior management team must be from Rwanda/East Africa
- The entity must have existing key operations in Rwanda
If you meet these requirements, we encourage you to join us in this exciting initiative and apply today. Businesses and co-operatives that are women-led and/or have taken demonstrated action towards promoting women in their supply chain are especially encouraged to apply.
What is Value of Award?
Selected ventures will have access to the following benefits that will support them to implement their locally-driven solutions that strengthen food systems.
- Funding: Up to $30,000 in equity-free funding per venture
- Acceleration support: 4 months of curated technical support to strengthen your skills and address business gaps. Receive a tailored curriculum and connect directly with experts and mentors
- Networking and exposure: connections to potential investors and leverage WFP’s strong network of public, private, and government partners
How to Apply?