Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Summer Legal Internship 2023. Apply below.
When is Application Deadline?
22nd January 2023
Tell Me About Award:
Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights is seeking Summer Legal Interns to advance the work of the International Advocacy and Litigation team for the Summer 2023. The internship is a 10-week commitment, from May 30, 2023 to August 4, 2023. Applications are considered and positions are offered on a rolling basis, but preference will be given to applications received by 11:59 pm EST on Sunday, January 22, 2023.
- Conducting international human rights legal research and drafting memoranda in support of litigation, fact-finding reports, and advocacy materials, as well as on recent developments of thematic issues and in-country conditions relevant to the work of Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights;
- Assisting in preparation of documents to support litigation before international mechanisms (e.g. Inter-American Commission on Human Rights, African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights, UN Treaty Bodies), and in support of advocacy before domestic and foreign governments, international organizations, and UN special procedures;
- Attending and reporting on briefings, Congressional hearings, symposia and other meetings;
- Monitoring sources of information on countries and issues of concern to Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights; and collecting, organizing and analyzing relevant information;
- Working closely with International Advocacy and Litigation team members to develop long-term strategies, legal actions, and advocacy campaigns to support the RFK Human Rights award laureates and other partners;
- Providing additional support to RFK Human Rights staff on an as-needed basis.
Where will Award Take Place?
Who is Eligible?
- Applicants must have completed at least one year of law school at the start of the internship and have a well-established interest in human rights;
- The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated base understanding (academic/research/work experience) of regional and international human rights law;
- Working knowledge of the United Nations system (e.g. UN treaty bodies, special procedures, Universal Periodic Review, etc.) and/or the regional human rights mechanisms (e.g. Inter-American Commission on Human Rights, African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights, etc.);
- An ability to master complex human rights issues under tight deadlines;
- Fluency in one of the following languages is desirable, but not required: Arabic, French, or Spanish;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Attention to detail, you’re able to scope out errors and willing to fix mistakes;
- Time management, you have the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects at once;
- High level of integrity and discretion in handling confidential information;
- Innovative thinking, a willingness to voice opinions, and a strong work ethic are essential;
- Teamwork, you are able to build positive relationships with your colleagues and are willing to help others;
- Inclusive, you’re excited to work with colleagues with different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives from your own.
How many Awards?
What is Value of Award?
- This full-time internship will commence as early as May 30, 2023 and end by August 4, 2023 with a commitment of approx. 37.5 hours per week.
- Interns will receive a $1500 monthly stipend.
How to Apply?
- Submit your resume, cover letter, a 3-5 page writing sample, and list of 3 professional references to [email protected] with “Your Name + Summer 2023 Legal Internship” in the subject line heading. (Ex: Jane Doe + Summer 2023 Legal Internship)
- In your cover letter please include how you heard about this role, why you’re interested in this position, and which of our team’s focus areas you are most interested in working on: Africa, Latin America, Asia, or Civic Space (non-regional). Please be aware that there are many factors taken into consideration when making your assignment, and you may not be assigned your indicated preference.
- Successful writing samples will consist of a legal brief on international human rights law and standards.
Visit Application Webpage for Details