The COVID-19 pandemic is a global crisis, affecting human health as well as economies and societies worldwide. TWAS and the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB) are offering a competitive grant for research collaboration. Technologists and researchers from IsDB Member Countries are invited to submit research and innovation proposals that can help address challenges directly and indirectly related to COVID-19.
Application Deadline: 31st January 2023
About the Award: The Islamic Development Bank (IsDB) and TWAS have partnered to promote and support quick-response research on key challenges related to the COVID-19 pandemic and the possible consequences. The IsDB-TWAS Joint Research & Technology Transfer Grant programme is fully funded by the IsDB and established to develop collaboration between researchers of IsDB member countries. Under this programme, qualified researchers from 57 IsDB countries* are invited to form a joint research collaboration consisting of two groups from different countries working on areas related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Eligible Field(s): COVID-19, Viral Outbreaks, Zoonotic Diseases, Diagnosis, Treatment
Research Areas: Examples of specific themes include, but are not limited to:
- COVID-19 prevention and treatment
- Viral Outbreaks
- Zoonotic Diseases
- Long COVID treatment
- Preventing the next pandemic
- Each Principle Investigator (PI) must be a national of an IsDB member country and hold a PhD with good research experience and lead each research group. (Note: The PI will be responsible for the coordination of the research, submission of requested documentation and reporting of the expenses. All TWAS correspondence will be with each PI).
- One PI MUST be from an IsDB Least Developed Member Country and the other from any of the eligible IsDB member countries.
- Each member of the group should operate in a university or research institution in one of the IsDB member countries and should be represented in the proposal by a PI. No age limit is applied to the applicant.
- Applications from women scientists are especially encouraged.
- Individual young scientists or leaders of research units currently holding a TWAS Research Grant in the Basic Sciences are not eligible.
- IsDB Member Countries: Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Benin, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chad, Comoros, Côte d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt, Gabon, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyz Republic, Lebanon, Libya, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Mauritania, Morocco, Mozambique, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, Suriname, Syrian Arab Republic, Tajikistan, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Yemen.
- **IsDB Least Developed Member Countries: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Benin, Burkina Faso, Chad, Comoros, Djibouti, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Niger, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, Togo, Uganda and Yemen
Number of Awards:1
Value of Award:
- The programme will choose one joint- project per year. The grant amounts to a maximum of USD 50,000 per research group – USD 100,000 total for the joint-project.
- Grants will enable the collaborating groups to purchase the research equipment and strengthen the facilities they need to enhance their partnership and productivity and to support the mobility of scientists between the participating institutions for training purposes. Partners should ensure, through the grant, that enough consumable supplies are available during such visits.
How to Apply:
- Applications must be submitted online via the TWAS online portal. The link to this page is found at the bottom of this page.
- Applications not submitted via this online portal will not be considered.
- No applications will be accepted after the deadline. Therefore, it is recommended to submit your electronic application as early as possible.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Please note that a researcher may only submit one application at a time and for only one kind of grant (either as an IsDB-TWAS grant or as an individual grant, as a research unit, COMSTECH or the OWSD Early Career Women Scientists (ECWS) Fellowship). Applicants cannot apply for other TWAS programmes i.e. Postdoctoral, Visiting Scholar and Visiting Researcher programme within the same year in order to be present in their home country throughout the duration of the grant.
- For any queries please write to [email protected]