African Union AU20 “Our Africa, Our Future” Artists Residency Programme 2022 for African Artists
Table of Contents
When is Application Deadline?
30th September 2022
Tell Me About Award:
This year, the African Union celebrates its 20th anniversary since the organization’s establishment at the Durban Summit of July 2002. Dubbed AU20, the celebrations are taking place under the theme “Our Africa, Our Future” and will focus on the AU’s initiatives, successes, impact, challenges and the way forward.
As part of this commemoration, the African Union (AU), in partnership with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), is hosting a residency programme under the AU20 project for established artists from across Africa to produce a piece of work that celebrates the unity and potential of the African continent.
The three-week artists residency will take place at the Loman Art House in Dakar, Senegal from 7 to 28 November 2022. The residency will culminate in a public event in Dakar to showcase and discuss the creative work.
Catering to the theme “Our Africa, Our Future,” five artists from the continent will be selected for their artistic talent, creativity and commitment to interpret this theme in a broad and expansive way across all visual art forms including painting, sculpture, drawing, photography, digital art and videography. The work will be published in an e-book anthology to be released in early 2023.
The AU20 project aims to elevate the profile of the AU in the minds of Africans, particularly the creative community, and better connect the AU to African citizens. Powered by Africa No Filter, the artists residency programme will contribute towards bringing the African Union closer to the African people by selecting creative professionals who think outside the box, dare to challenge conventions and offer new and original work through their chosen materials, techniques and subject matters.
What Type of Award is this?
Who can apply?
- Established artists with at least one prior exhibition in a recognized art gallery.
- Digital art and videograpghy applicants should be actively engaged in contemporary artistic practice and show evidence of a national and international exhibition record, screening and audience.
- Artists must be able to communicate in French or English.
- Artists must be both nationals of, and resident in, any African country.
- Artists must own a valid passport and be willing to travel to Senegal to participate in the physical residency.
Which Countries are Eligible?
Where will Award be Taken?
Loman Art House in Dakar, Senegal
How Many Positions will be Given?
What is the Benefit of Award?
What is Expected of the Artists
- Be willing to commit to the entirety of the residency programme in Dakar, Senegal.
- Selected artists will create a series of artwork (1 to 3 depending on the medium) or a series of photographs (5 to 10) for exhibition at Loman Art House, at the African Union Commission and as a feature in the AU20 e-book anthology.
- Participate in the public event at the end of the residency, photography and videography of the creation process, and any publicity that may arise from the programme.
What Artists Receive
- All travel costs to, from and within Senegal.
- Accommodation and board at Loman Art House in Senegal.
- Workshop space within the Loman Art House premises.
- A stipend of US$1,000.
- Basic costs for tools and art materials will be covered.
- Trips to relevant places of interest while in Senegal.
- Meetings with key people in the Senegalese/African creative space.
How to Apply for Program?
- A CV with professional experiences, names of galleries exhibiting the artist’s works, participation in biennials and international meetings, and contact details for two referees (2 pages maximum).
- A short biography.
- A 1-page cover letter explaining why you want to participate in this AU-themed residency and what you hope to gain from the experience.
- A digital portfolio of previous work and/or links to the artist’s website and other social platforms.
- A copy of the ID page of your passport.
- Due to logistical reasons, Loman Art only accepts one application per artist (no duo, trio or collective).
The deadline for applications is 30 September 2022. Applications must be prepared in PDF format and submitted to [email protected]. Applications for which an element is missing as well as those that have exceeded the application deadline will not be taken into consideration.