USADF Accelerate Africa Entrepreneurship Challenge 2022 for Youth & Women-Led Enterprises
Table of Contents
When is Application Deadline?
30th September 2022
Tell Me About Award:
USADF is excited to request proposals for the USADF Accelerate Africa Entrepreneurship Challenge. Proposals are invited from eligible African youth and women-led enterprises. Selected enterprises will receive funding in the form of grant capital of up to $250,000. To be considered for the Challenge, applicants must be 100% African-owned and -managed private companies registered and operating in any of USADF’s operating countries in Africa (Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Côte d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of Congo, Guinea, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Somalia, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe).
What Type of Award is this?
Who can apply?
USADF will consider proposals from 100% African-owned and managed companies. Passports or other
government-issued IDs of all owners and senior managers must be submitted with the applications. If the
applying entity is owned wholly or in part by another entity, passports or other government-issues IDs of its owners must also be provided. The applying entity must be a for-profit enterprise and must not be government-owned, operated, or affiliated in any way. Applicants may be developers of their own technology and/or may be acquiring and implementing technology developed elsewhere. Applicants need to be legally registered in Africa and demonstrate the capacity to track and manage the project resources and operate in good standing with the local governments in which they operate.
Winning proposals must:
• Further develop, scale up or extend the use of proven solutions/technologies for social impact in Africa.
• Benefit underserved populations or low-income rural or urban populations
• Demonstrate financial sustainability or the potential for financial sustainability
• Propose a budget of no more than US$250,000. Proposals with budgets greater than US$250,000 must bring leveraged resources from one or more other sources that meet the total financing requirements.
Leveraged funds from other private sector and donor sources are encouraged
• Demonstrate clearly whether and how many new jobs will be created
• Women-owned or -managed business is a plus
Applications will only be considered if they:
- Entity is African 100% owned and managed, registered, and operating within Africa
- Owners must provide passports or other government-issued IDs showing citizenship are submitted.
- All shareholders, members of the board and senior management must be citizens of a sub-Saharan African country
- Express clearly how they will benefit underserved populations across Africa including showing demonstrable positive impacts for youth and women
- Express clearly how they will achieve sustainable growth
- Fully and legally registered in Africa, and the registration is submitted
- Document adequate expertise in the field they are proposing or document how they will acquire the necessary expertise
- Clearly document how they will use USADF grant capital to carry out their concept
How are Applicants Selected?
All applications will be reviewed in two phases: Phase I applications will be reviewed and evaluated by an expert panel of judges. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted to begin Phase II of the application process.
Applicants that are not shortlisted in Phase I will not be contacted.
Which Countries are Eligible?
How Many Positions will be Given?
What is the Benefit of Award?
Winning applicants will receive:
• Grant capital of US$50,000 to US$250,000 from USADF
• Access to intensive local technical assistance and governance support
How to Apply for Program?
The application template for applicants to complete is linked below. Applicants must submit the completed application template, as well as all required attachments, on or before September 30, 2022. Please note that applications will be reviewed on a first come, first served basis, so it is advised that applicants submit their proposals as soon as possible.