DAAD Stellenbosch University Mathematics Master & PhD Scholarships 2022: As part of the “In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme“, DAAD offers scholarships for PhD and Master studies.
15th June 2022
The programme aims at fostering strong, internationally oriented higher education systems in Sub-Saharan Africa with the capacity to contribute to sustainable development. To this end, scholarships are granted for development-related Master or doctoral studies for individuals who plan to pursue a career in teaching and / or research at a higher education institution in Sub-Saharan Africa.
By training future academic and professional leaders, the programme contributes to the following long-term impacts:
• Qualified professionals’ involvement in the solution of development-related problems in Sub-Saharan Africa
• Graduates strengthening education and research in Sub-Saharan Africa
• Structural strengthening and regional networking of partner institutions and partner universities
To achieve these long-term impacts, the following outcomes have been formulated as programme objectives:
Programme objective 1: Graduates have qualified to take over responsible positions in their, or for their, region of origin
Programme objective 2: The participation of women and underprivileged groups is reinforced
Programme objective 3: Organizational, financial and personal capacities of partner institutions are strengthened
• have successfully completed generally four-year university degree, equivalent to BSc Hons (Master candidates) or a two-year university degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results (at least: Second Class/Upper Division or equivalent, if applicable)
• clearly show motivation and strong commitment
• have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
• have generally completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
• must be nationals or permanent resident of a Sub-Saharan African country (excluding South Africa)
• should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector and/or d) Alumni of the DAFI-programme
Female applicants, refugees with recognized refugee status and candidates from other less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme
It has been agreed upon that DAAD cooperates with Stellenbosch University by offering up to 5 In-Region scholarships for Master studies and up to 6 In-Region scholarships for PhD studies at Stellenbosch University for the intake 2023.
The scholarship covers:
Scholarships are initially granted for one year and can be extended to a maximum of the regular period of study upon receipt of an application for extension. Scholars must demonstrate satisfactory progress before an extension is granted.
• of the PhD programme is generally three years and is usually starting in January 2023
• of the Master programme is generally two years and is usually starting in January 2023.
It is important to go through all application requirements before applying.
This post was last modified on March 14, 2022 10:21 am