WE-STAR Fellowships 2022: We are very pleased to announce a new funding opportunity launched by ICGEB in collaboration with MAECI (Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation):the “WE-STAR Programme – PhD and Postdoctoral training scheme for WomEn ScienTists in AfRica”.
Table of Contents
When is the Application Deadline:
28th January 2022.
Tell Me About WE-STAR Fellowships:
The Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation (MAECI) and the International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB) have partnered to offer early-career female scientists from the African Continent, mobility fellowships of 6 to 12 months at the ICGEB laboratories in Trieste (Italy), New Delhi (India) and Cape Town (South Africa), to perform research work on biotechnology and related fields, including Health (Infectious Diseases and Non-Communicable Diseases), Sustainable and Effective Agriculture, Industrial Biotechnology and Renewable Energy.
This new programme promotes and supports success stories of women scientists from Africa. Five (5) PhD and five (5) postdoc fellowships of 6-12 months duration will be awarded to early-career women researchers from ICGEB Member States in Africa*to perform their research at the ICGEB Components in Trieste, Cape Town or New Delhi.
What Type of Scholarship is this?
Who can apply for WE-STAR Fellowships?
- – Applicants must be nationals of ICGEB Member States in the African Continent*
- – Applicants may not apply for fellowships to be undertaken in their country of origin unless working abroad at the time of application
- – Pre-docs having completed their university degree and enrolled in a PhD course, as well as postdoctoral researchers having completed their PhD or equivalent may apply. Tentatively, 5 – Pre-doc and 5 post-doc fellowships will be awarded.
- – No age limit applies, but preference will be given to candidates below the age of 45
- – Good working knowledge of English is mandatory
How are Applicants Selected?
- The ICGEB Fellowships Selection Committee will evaluate complete applications received by the closing date. The candidates will be notified of the outcome by e-mail as soon as possible following the closing date for applications.
- The main criteria for selection include the scientific excellence of the project, the qualities of the candidate’s CV, and the potential benefit in terms of mentoring and acquisition of new expertise.
Which Countries are Eligible?
Algeria, Angola, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cote d’Ivoire, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Liberia, Libya, Mauritius, Morocco, Namibia, Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa, Sudan, Tunisia, United Republic of Tanzania, Zimbabwe
Where will Award be Taken?
Trieste (Italy), New Delhi (India) and Cape Town (South Africa)
How Many Fellowships will be Given?
Five (5) PhD and five (5) postdoc fellowships
What is the Benefit of WE-STAR Fellowships?
- Monthly stipend: Euro 1300 for PhD students and Euro 2000 for postdoctoral fellows, or equivalent.
- A bench fee allowance of Euro 500/month or equivalent will be paid as a contribution to the receiving laboratory to cover the purchase of laboratory consumables that are directly related to the WE-STAR Fellow’s research activities.
- Travel: the fellowship includes provision for travel expenses from the participant’s home country to the host lab at the beginning of the fellowship and a return travel provision upon completion of the fellowship. Medical health insurance coverage is provided for the duration of the fellowship.
- Visa/permit of stay application and renewal costs are reimbursed.
- ICGEB makes no financial provision, nor can it provide administrative support for family members of participants in the programme.
How Long will the Program Last?
How to Apply for WE-STAR Fellowships:
Please complete this application online. You will be allowed to complete a portion of the application form and return later to finish the rest. Before starting the application online, kindly carefully read the call guidelines and FAQ.