University of the Western Cape School of Public Health Postdoctoral Fellowship 2021 – South Africa
The School of Public Health, University of the Western Cape seeks to recruit a full-time Postdoctoral Fellow beginning from September 2021.
Application Deadline: 30th July 2021 no later than 5pm.
About the Award: The Postdoctoral Fellow will be required to register at the University of the Western Cape, and will work on a 3-year project that aims to strengthen community engagement in public health research in South Africa.
The fellowship covers the following content and methodological areas:
- evidence synthesis (including qualitative systematic review, narrative review, scoping review, rapid review);
- qualitative primary research (including interviews, focus group discussions, participant observation and participatory action research);
- implementation science or knowledge translation (including community engagement); and
- study participation or community engagement in public health research.
The Postdoctoral Fellow will contribute to both research and teaching activities linked to these areas.
Eligibility: Eligible applicants are required to have:
- Completed a PhD in the last five years and may not have held a prior permanent academic post. For applicants who did not obtain their qualification in South Africa, a valid SAQA certificate should be in hand at the time of application.
- Experience and expertise in qualitative primary research and evidence synthesis.
- A strong academic record with evidence of research experience and peer-reviewed publications.
- All candidates will be considered, but preference will be given to a suitably qualified South African citizen or permanent resident.
- grant-writing and project management experience, including ability to liaise with a range of stakeholders;
- experience organising online and face-to-face workshops and engagements; and
- teaching and postgraduate supervision experience.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The fellowship is initially available for one year, starting from September 2021 (or close to that), ranging between R330000.00 and R370000.00 (tax-free) per annum. Renewal for further years (up to a maximum of 3 years) will be considered depending on satisfactory performance and continued funding.
How to Apply: Eligible candidates should provide the following:
- A cover letter by the candidate motivating suitability to the position available.
- A one-page summary outlining their research interest and how this opportunity may advance that.
- A full CV including all conference attendance, publications and other scholarly research output.
- Evidence of publication record and writing skills (which can be copies of or a link to a relevant peer-reviewed publication).
- An academic transcript.
- Names and contact details of at least 3 referees who have supervised or worked with the candidate and can speak to their experience and skills.
Enquiries and completed application should be forwarded to Carnita Ernest, [email protected]. Please use subject heading: Application for Postdoctoral Fellowship
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.