IUCN Regional Governance of Protected Areas Master Scholarships 2021/2022 for Students in West Africa
The project, financed by the European Union for the benefit of WAEMU and ECOWAS Member States, is launching a call for applications for three (03) Master’s scholarships of 5,000 Euros each for pursuing a Master’s degree training courses in schools or universities in West Africa as well as other higher education courses outside the region. This amount covers all the expenses related to the program until its completion
Application Deadline: 4th July 2021 at 23:59 (UTC-GMT)
Project: Regional Governance of Protected Areas in West Africa – FED/2018/399-509
About the Award: The objective of this call for applications is to select three (03) fellows in order to contribute to in
enhancing the skills of protected area management staffs or to increase the availability of expertise in the field within West African States.
Eligibility: Candidates will be required to:
- Justify a position within a protected area management team or in the forestry administration. For students, justify an academic course in line with the targeted Master’s degree;
- Hold a Bachelor or Master degree 1 or equivalent in Environment, Geography, Planning and Management of Protected Areas, Agronomy or in a related field allowing them to enrol in the targeted Master degree 2.
Selection Criteria: Students will be required to:
- Provide a proof of enrolment in a Master degree programme (M1 or M2) related to the areas specified above at the time of awarding the scholarship;
- Provide a proof of at least 5 years professional experience or a university degree in the field of the environment;
- Be nationals of a country of ECOWAS/WAEMU Commissions States Members or of Mauritania;
- Be able to demonstrate adequate co-financing if the cost of the training exceeds the amount of the scholarship.
Scholarships will be awarded to beneficiaries on the basis of an assessment of:
a. The relevance of the Master’s programme and the end-of-course internship project against the objectives of the project;
b. The relevance of the professional experience against the protected areas management issue.
Number of Awards: 3
Value of Award: 5,000 Euros each. This amount covers all the expenses related to the program until its completion
How to Apply: Candidates are requested to submit their application package containing:
- A letter of acceptance to a Master’s programme that meets the eligibility criteria (or a request for enrolment in a Master’s programme with the understanding that proof of enrolment will be requested before the final award of the scholarship) ;
- A cover letter;
- A detailed CV;
- A copy of the required diploma certificate;
- A copy of the transcripts of the Bachelor (L1, 2 and 3) and Master (M1) degrees;
- A research topic that will be addressed during the final internship of the Master’s degree as well as the recommendation of a qualified lecturer or researcher to supervise and coach the work;
- Details of the additional financial contribution, if required.
Letters of acceptance or certificates of enrolment in the Master’s programme (M1 or M2) must mention the date of the targeted start of the academic year. Offers received may be evaluated before the closing date depending on the targeted start dates.
Applications must be sent no later than 04 July 2021 at 23:59 (UTC-GMT):
Either by deposit in closed envelopes with the mention “MASTER SCOLARSHIP _IUCNGouvernanceRegionale_LAST NAME First name ” ” To be opened only during evaluation sessions ” at the IUCN-PACO Office located in Ouaga 2000, behind the Total filling station Ouaga 2000, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
Either by email in a single file in PDF format (to be named as followed: MASTER_SCHOLARSHIP_IUCN-Regional-Governace_LAST NAME_First name) to the following address [email protected]
Subject “Regional Governance of Protected Areas: MASTER SCHOLARSHIP”.