Stanford GDPi-ICNL Tech Camp 2021 for Civic Space Defenders
Are you a civic space defender interested in the impact of digital technology on your work? If so, we invite eligible civil society colleagues to apply to the Tech Camp for Civic Space Defenders organized by Stanford’s Global Digital Policy Incubator (GDPi) and the International Center for Not-for-Profit Law (ICNL).
Application Deadline: 10th May 2021 midnight EDT
About the Award: The Tech Camp will take place virtually each Tuesday and Thursday from July 13 to August 5, 2021. At the Tech Camp, 25 participants from OECD-DAC eligible countries will address issues including:
- The effects of artificial intelligence on the freedoms of association, peaceful assembly, and expression (“civic space”);
- The growth of digital authoritarianism and its influence beyond state borders;
- Disinformation and threats to free expression online; and
- The rise of digital and biometric surveillance
Eligibility: Applicants must live and work in an OECD-DAC eligible country. In addition, they must work on civic space issues for a civil society organization.
Eligible Countries: Developing Country
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: There is no charge for participation in the Tech Camp. Participants are expected to cover their time and any incidental costs they incur in connection with their Tech Camp participation.
How to Apply: To apply to participate in the Tech Camp, please submit the following materials no later than midnight EDT on May 10, 2021.
- A CV or biographical statement of no more than two pages;
- A description of how you have worked to promote civic space (up to 150 words);
- A description of current or upcoming digital laws or policies affecting civic space in your country (up to 200 words);
- A statement of how you anticipate using knowledge gained at the Tech Camp to promote civic space in your country (up to 200 words);
- A statement of how you intend to share the knowledge gained (up to 150 words);
- A confirmation that you are able to participate in all Tech Camp sessions, which will take place from 9:00am to 11:am US Pacific Time on Tuesdays and Thursdays from July 13 to August 5. Please be sure to include this confirmation in your application.
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.