German Institute for Global and Area Studies (GIGA) Postdoctoral Research Fellowship 2021
Applications are invited for a full-time position (100%), with a contract of three years, preferably starting 1 November 2021. The salary is commensurate with TV-AVH / TVöD EG 13.
Application Deadline: Not specified
About the Award: The GIGA German Institute for Global and Area Studies / Leibniz-Institut für Globale und Regionale Studien is an independent social science research institute based in Hamburg, Germany. It analyses political, social, and economic developments in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East, and links this knowledge to questions of global significance. It combines region-specific analysis with innovative comparative research on accountability and participation, peace and security, globalisation and development, and global orders and foreign policies. The GIGA is seeking to appoint a Postdoctoral Research Fellow (m/f/d).
The successful candidate will work in the project «COVID-19 and Executive Personalization in Sub-Saharan Africa, Asia, Latin America and the MENA Region» funded by the German Re-search Foundation / Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft. This project is co-lead by Dr. David Kuehn, Prof. Mariana Llanos and Dr. Thomas Richter.
- an excellent doctoral degree in political science, sociology, public policy, public health, economics, African studies or related disciplines
- a strong background in research on politics and/or society of sub-Saharan Africa
- on-site research experience in sub-Saharan Africa
- proven proficiency in the application of state-of-the-art comparative social science methods
- proficiency in English
- strong analytical skills
- strong teamwork skills
- experience in academic research on public health
- experience in research on autocratisation and/or democratisation
- experience in organizing academic events and outreach activities
- proficiency in additional languages spoken in sub-Saharan Africa
Part-time options will be considered, if so desired by the successful candidate. Diversity and the reconciliation of work and family life are of great importance to the institute. The GIGA promotes the equality of all gender
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The salary is commensurate with TV-AVH / TVöD EG 13.
Responsibility: The successful candidate will
- contribute to the development of the conceptual and theoretical framework of execu-tive personalisation
- lead the preparation and conduct of a comparative, empirical analysis of personalisa-tion of executive power in the area of public health
- be an active member of the GIGA, be affiliated to the GIGA Institute of African Af-fairs, and belong to the Research Programme “Accountability and Participation”
- contribute to the academic output of the project with single-authored and co-authored publications in leading scientific journals
- engage in the dissemination of project findings within the academic as well as policy community, and among the wider public
Duration of Award: 3 Years
How to Apply: Please fill out the application form (found at https://www.giga-hamburg.de/en/career/) and send it together with your full application (Ref.-No. GIGA-21-07) including relevant supporting documentation (cover letter, CV, credentials/diplomas/certificates, names and contact details of two references, list of publications, max. two work samples), as one PDF (except for the completed GIGA application form) to:
Gabriele Tetzlaff, German Institute for Global and Area Studies (GIGA), Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg, Germany Email: [email protected] (email applications are particularly welcome).
Screening of applications will begin on 7 June 2021.
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.