The BIEA has opened its Call For 2022/2023 Applications (Graduate Attachment Scheme)
Application Deadline: 22nd April 2022.
Eligible Countries: African countries
About the BIEA Graduate Attachment Scheme: The GAS scheme runs in 2 cohorts per year: 1st June – 31st August; mid-October – mid-December. Applicants should indicate their preferred cohort although this cannot be guaranteed.
Graduate attachés will be involved in three types of work while at the BIEA:
- Attachés will develop specific research interests in the region, gain practical experience of conducting research by working as a research assistant on a number of innovative historical, archaeological, anthropological, political science and legal projects, gain trainings in research methods, and meet a variety of active researchers;
- Assist with the administration of the BIEA including website, library, reading groups focused on key texts in African studies, workshops and seminars; and,
- Conduct their own research usually leading into developing a plan for a Masters or PhD. Their attachment involves the presentation of a paper in the BIEA Completion Seminar Series upon some aspect of the research they have carried out during their time at BIEA;
- Have the opportunity to take beginner’s Kiswahili classes.
Eligibility for BIEA Graduate Attachment Scheme:
- You will need a strong academic record, some experience of studying/researching Africa, and a clear interest in developing your own research.
- You should also be able to show significant initiative and that you are equally adept at working and living alone or as part of a large team.
- You should be ready to offer enthusiastic assistance for various field projects and subsequent data analysis.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of BIEA Graduate Attachment Scheme: Graduate attachés receive a monthly stipend towards living costs while staying in Nairobi for the duration of their attachment. Successful applicants will be accommodated together near the institute in accommodation provided by the BIEA. Successful applicants can choose to opt out of this shared accommodation although no other funding or opportunities are provided by the BIEA. The BIEA will cover the cost of travel to and from Nairobi, a visa if required, and insurance for the period of the attachment.
Duration of Programme:
- Graduate attachments are three months long. There may be opportunities to extend your stay but accommodation, food, visa and transport changes will be at the attaché’s own expense.
- Please specify the three-month time period(s) that you are available for this scheme in your application.
How to Apply for BIEA Graduate Attachment Scheme: To Apply, applicants should send a CV and Cover Letter to [email protected] detailing any research experience that you have (including methods used) and explaining how participation in the scheme will assist the development of your career. You will need to arrange for two academic references to be sent directly to BIEA.
- It is important to go through all application requirements on the Programme Webpage see link below) before applying