DW Akademie Film Development Fund 2022 for East African Filmmakers
The DW Akademie Film Development Fund has been designed to support filmmakers from the Global South who are passionate about making films and want to build sustainable careers. In 2022, the fund will be opened for applications for filmmakers from Ethiopia, Tanzania and Uganda.
Application Deadline: 26th October 2022
About the Award: We want to support creatives in developing film projects who may otherwise struggle to get their voices heard and their stories told and thus contribute to social change and freedom of expression.
Eligibility: To be able to apply, you must fulfill two main eligibility requirements:
- Be a citizen and a permanent resident of the country for which the call for application is open. If you are from the country but live in the diaspora, you are unfortunately not eligible.
- Have a track record as a filmmaker. This means that we require that you have released at least one production either internationally or locally (e.g., theatrical release, screening in a national or international festival, TV broadcast, digital third-party broadcast, streaming/VOD). This can also be a short film.
What is being supported?
Eligible formats are narrative, documentary or hybrid feature-length films (at least 60 minutes) currently in development.
The fund focuses on the development stage of a film’s overall production. This is the phase for creating ideas, writing screenplays, acquiring financing, contracting rights, etc.
Development activities eligible for funding include, but are not limited to: work on a screenplay; research (travel); production of a mood reel; participation in labs (lab and travel fees); acquiring financing for production (work on further funding applications, travel to festivals, etc.); location and/or character/protagonist scouting, etc.
Is my project eligible to receive support?
Your project is eligible to receive support if:
- It is a narrative, documentary or hybrid feature film (more than 60 minutes).
- It is currently in development
If you are unsure whether your planned activities are eligible for funding, please contact DW Akademie: [email protected]
Eligible Countries: Ethiopia, Tanzania and Uganda.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: We offer filmmakers a combination of financial support (maximum 10,000€) for the development of projects up to production stage and a tailor-made training program.
How to Apply: Apply below
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.
Important Notes: Please note that the application period for the Film Fund – Ethiopia is already underway.