Al Jazeera Fellowship Program 2022 for Journalists & Scholars
Applications are now open for the Al Jazeera Fellowship Program 2022 for journalists.
Application Deadline: 7th December 2021
About the Award: The Al Jazeera Fellowship is designed to give journalists and scholars the opportunity to write a 7,000-word research paper on selected fields of journalism. Successful applicants will:
- Join a team within AJMN and experience the working environment first-hand.
- Meet with editors, journalists and other staff, relevant to their research proposal.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Full-time journalist or researcher (freelancer or employed).
- At least four years of professional experience in journalism or research, relevant to journalistic and/or media fields.
- Strong research and writing skills.
- Fluent in English (speaking and writing).
- In order to apply for the Fellowship, applicants must have a proper grasp of English academic writing.
- The Al Jazeera Fellowship in English is only open to those from non-Arab countries. Those from Arab countries may apply to our Arabic Fellowship Programme.
In addition to completing the online application form, applicants are required to submit the following documents in PDF format, with the exception of video, images or other graphic materials provided as work samples. Please note that if any of the following is missing, the application will not be considered.
- Curriculum vitae.
- Fellowship proposal (must include title, field of interest, objectives, methodology, abstract).
- Signed letter of commitment.
- Three samples of the applicant’s work in English.
- Two letters of recommendation.
If you are selected to take part in the Fellowship Programme, you will commit to the following:
- Develop and submit a research paper of up to 7,000 words, as per the AJMI guidelines (these will be provided to successful applicants).
- Fellow must be accountable at all times. Monthly reports on work status/progress and completion must be submitted.
- Be an active and engaged member of the Al Jazeera community.
Research proposal requirements
The proposal should be between 1000 to 1500 words, demonstrating how and why your research is relevant to your field. Your proposal should demonstrate that the work is necessary to fill a gap in the existing body of research on your subject, underlining existing research on your subject, and adding new depths to the understanding of your subject. The proposal must contain the following:
- An introduction to your topic, stating your proposal and the questions your research aims to answer.
- The reason your subject is of particular importance.
- A summary of the research methodology and the theories/approaches that the researcher will use.
- The tools and procedures you will use to collect, analyse and interpret the data you collect.
- The main challenges that you expect to face during the research.
- An explanation of how journalists could benefit from your final research.
- An explanation of how your placement at Al Jazeera headquarters will benefit your research project.
The following points should be taken into consideration
- The research proposal should be authentic and original.
- The research proposal should be written specifically for the Al Jazeera Fellowship Programme.
- There will be no tolerance of any kind of plagiarism.
Selection: A committee will review applications and select the most competent candidates, based on the fulfilment of eligibility criteria and the relevance of the applicant’s research proposal to AJMN and journalism in general. The committee will be made up of members of the AJMI, which includes representatives from Al Jazeera Arabic, Al Jazeera English and Al Jazeera’s Digital Division.
Eligible Countries: Any
To be Taken at (Country): Doha, Qatar.
Number of Awards: 2
Value of Al Jazeera Fellowship Program: The grant covers:
1) Roundtrip airfare from fellow’s city of residence to Doha, Qatar.
2) Accommodation expenses for 1 month in Doha, including lodging, meals and transportation hotel-Al Jazeera-hotel. The Visiting Journalist fellowship does not grant any financial support to fellows. Candidates who have the means of subsistence for coming and spending one month in Doha and meet eligibility criteria and all requirements are welcome to apply.
Duration of Award: 2 months (Feb 1 – April 1 2022)
How to Apply: Apply here for Al Jazeera Fellowship
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.