DAAD CERM-ESA PhD & Master Scholarships 2021 for African Students
It has been agreed upon that DAAD cooperates with CERM-ESA by offering up to 8 In-Country/In-Region Scholarships for PhD and Master studies at CERM-ESA for the intake 2021.
Application Deadline: 15th December 2020.
About the Award: As part of the „In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme“ DAAD offers scholarships for PhD and Master studies. The programme is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and aims at university staff in the first line, without neglecting the public sector demand of academically trained personnel.
The target group for scholarships are graduates and postgraduates from Sub-Saharan Africa with a first academic degree if applying for a Master’s programme, or with a Master’s degree if applying for a doctoral programme who want to pursue Master’s or PhD courses, either
- in their home country In-Country scholarships are aimed at students who study in their home country or in the country for which they have a residence permit.)
- in another Sub-Saharan African country (In-Region scholarships are aimed at students who want to participate in a study programme in a country of their home region (here: Kenya/outside their home country).
Eligible Field(s): The In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme supports studies in subject areas with strong relevance to national development. The scholarships at CERM-ESA are available in the following fields:
• PhD in Sociology of Education
• Master’s in Education
Type: Masters, PhD
Eligibility: Applicants must meet the following DAAD criteria:
- have successfully completed generally a three-year university Bachelor’s degree (Master candidates) or a two-year university Master’s degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results (at least: Second Class/Upper Division)
- clearly show motivation and strong commitment
- have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
- have generally completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
- must be nationals or permanent residents of a Sub-Saharan African country
- should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector and/or d) Alumni of the DAFI-programme
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
Scholarships are initially granted for one year and can be extended to a maximum of the regular period of study upon receipt of an application for extension. Scholars must demonstrate satisfactory progress before an extension is granted.
Please note: CERM-ESA might have additional requirements for admission to the university.
Eligible Countries: sub-Saharan African countries
To be Taken at (Country): East & South African-German Centre of Excellence for Educational Research Methodologies and Management (CERM-ESA), Kenya
Number of Awards: 8
Value of Award:
- Tuition Fees*
- Study and research allowance
- Printing allowance
- Monthly Scholarship (Accommodation, Food etc.)
- Travel allowance (In-Region only)
- Health Insurance (In-Region only)
Duration of Award: The duration
- of the PhD programme is generally three years (regular period of studies) and is usually starting in September 2021
- of the Master programme is generally two years (regular period of studies) and is usually starting in September 2021
Please note that the maximum duration of the scholarship is based on the time that is left until the scholarship holder has reached the regular period of studies in that programme; i.e., if you apply for a DAAD scholarship starting in your second year of studies of a three-year programme, the maximum duration of the scholarship will be two years.
How to Apply: The application process contains two steps. Please be aware of the DAAD application deadline as well as CERM-ESA’s deadline.
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.