DIES UNILEAD 2021 for University Managers in Developing Countries
DAAD and the University of Oldenburg jointly organise the DIES University Leadership and Management Training Programme (UNILEAD) in Oldenburg, enabling young managers between the ages of 30 and 40 years at higher education institutions in developing countries to successfully tackle everyday management challenges.
Application Deadline: 13th October 2020 11:59 am Central European Summer Time.
- South East Asia (Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam).
- Sub-Saharan Africa (Burundi, Cameroon, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Nigeria, Rwanda, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda).
- Latin America (Bolivia, Central America, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Mexico and Peru).
- Middle East (Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Yemen).
To be taken at (country): The programme takes place at the Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg, Germany.
About the Award: Young managers at higher education institutions in developing countries can now apply for the DIES UNILEAD course offered by the University of Oldenburg in 2021. The course brings together the topics Project Management, Strategic Management & Academic Leadership and Human Resource Management with individual and practice-oriented change projects of each participant.
UNILEAD is a short, practice oriented learning programme for young University Leaders in the field of Higher Education Management. In 2008 it was developed in cooperation with the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) (DIES programme) and the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University in Port Elisabeth (South Africa).
UNILEAD focuses on different topics within Education Management and aims at fostering innovative projects in the area of organisational development and Human Resource Management in higher education institution. The participants acquire techniques and methods, which enable them to effectively and efficiently organise institutional management in their home institutions.
UNILEAD focuses on three key areas:
- Project Management. This includes courses on Methodology of Project Management and Financial Management in Projects.
- Strategic Management & Academic Leadership. This includes courses of theoretical basics and practical tools for the Development and Implementation of Strategic Management and Acquisition of Competences in the area of Leadership.
- Human Resource Management. This includes courses on Instruments of Human Resource Development, Conflict Management and Communication.
Type: Short courses
Eligibility: UNILEAD targets higher education managers from developing countries. The two key criteria are:
- Applicants have been holding a university management position with managerial and personnel responsibilities no longer than 4 years in one of the following fields:
o Managers of central university departments (Planning, Quality Management, Human Resources, Continuing Education; excluding academic units such as Deans, Vice Deans, Head of Department)
o Task force managers for university reform projects
o Managers of staff development units or programmes
- Active and excellent English language skills (speaking and writing) are indispensable. Phone interviews will be organised with short listed candidates to guarantee the requested proficiency.
Further criteria are:
- Applicants are university leaders preferably between 30 and 40 years.
- Applicants hold at least a Master’s degree.
- The provision of international experience will be an asset.
Number of scholarships: 25
Value of Scholarship: Funded
Duration of Scholarship: Using a blended learning approach, UNILEAD is structured in two on-site contact phases at the University of Oldenburg, Germany, and trainer guided online phases.
How to Apply: Click here for the full call for applications with more information and links toward application:
It is important to go through the application guidelines and FAQ before applying for this Award