University of Ghana Nestlé PhD Scholarships for Research Excellence 2020
The University of Ghana has, through a 5-year Memorandum of Understanding, received a grant from Société des Produits Nestlé SA to support PhD students in conducting interdisciplinary research in the broad areas of Food and Nutrition Security, and Climate Change.
Application Deadline: 15th May, 2020, at 5:00pm.
About the Award: The specific research themes, with some related topics, are as follows:
a. Affordable nutrition: addressing nutritional needs of low-income settings by developing innovative affordable food matrices from locally sourced crops and ingredients, potentially pulses and legumes.
- i. Healthy Diets from a Sustainable Food System for Low-Income Consumers
- ii. Identify solutions for affordable nutrition via Virtual & Rapid Prototyping
- iii. Drying – Binding – Shaping as Enabler of Affordable Nutrition Solutions
- iv. High-shear Granulation as Enabler of Affordable Nutrition Solutions
b. Implications of climate change on food security and nutritional quality of food for low income settings.
- i. Cocoa shell, a by-product with high food potential to be valorized
- ii. Valorize Moringa for climate friendly nutritious products
c. Scientific substantiation of the public health impact of the Nestle Iron Awareness Campaign
- First or Second year PhD students in a discipline closely related to the research themes above (e.g. Food Science, Nutrition, Food Process Engineering and others).
- · Applicant must have no competing scholarships and commit to fulltime PhD student status.
- · First year applicants must meet the University of Ghana requirements and gain admission into an applicable PhD programme.
- · Second year applicants should have met UG academic requirements including having passed their written and comprehensive examinations.
- · Applicants must possess excellent academic credentials, and demonstrate motivation and capacity to carry out original, innovative and independent research.
- · Applicant must be a national or permanent resident of Ghana
Eligible Countries: A national or permanent resident of Ghana
To be Taken at (Country): Ghana
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The grant is mainly directed to the funding of PhD students and will provide support for tuition, research costs and stipend starting from the 2020/2021 academic year.
Duration of Award: Funding for the programme is for a maximum of four (4) years (First year applicants) and three (3) years (Second year applicants).
How to Apply: Interested applicants should download and complete the application form (link inserted below), and include the supporting documents indicated below, into a single PDF file. Applications should be emailed to:
Institute of Applied Science & Technology
College of Basic & Applied Sciences
University of Ghana
P.O Box LG 25, Legon Email: [email protected]
The Assistant Registrar
Institute of Applied Science and Technology
DI Old Chemistry Building
Cruise O’Brien Road (Opposite the Recreational Quadrangle)
University of Ghana