Canada: University of British Colombia Public Scholars Award 2020/2021 for International Students
The University of British Colombia Public Scholars Award is part of the UBC Public Scholars Initiative (PSI) which intends to build connections, community, and capacity for doctoral students who are interested in explicitly linking their doctoral work to an arena of public benefit and integrating broader and more career-relevant forms of scholarship into their doctoral education process.
Application Deadline: 29th May 2020
Eligible Countries: Canadian, Permanent Resident and International
To be Taken at (Country): Canada
- UBC Vancouver doctoral students (PhD, EdD, and DMA) in years 1-5
- Applicants must have completed no more than 48 months of doctoral study as of 31 August 2020
- Applicants must be registered in a UBC doctoral program as of 1 September 2020
- Applicants in their 6th year (48 to 60 months of doctoral study) will be accepted only in the most exceptional circumstances
Requirements for all funded students:
- Submission of a report at the end of their first (and if applicable, second) year of funding
- Presentation of their work at a Network event PhDs Go Public.
All students, faculty, and collaborators will be asked to complete a questionnaire at the end of their funding/involvement. Student dissertations and student completion and career outcomes will also be reviewed as part of the assessment of this pilot initiative.
- Student’s past accomplishments and future promise. Breadth of interest and accomplishment will be important, as well as an indication of the student’s fit with the proposed project.
- Project’s relationship to PSI goals, which is to encourage and enable a broadened conception of doctoral education, such that:
- Students gain experience in the environments and types of scholarship they may productively engage in post-graduation
- Students’ work is evaluated as part of the degree, ensuring it is of the highest quality, and signaling that the university considers these diverse forms of scholarship worthy of recognition
- Students gain enhanced career opportunities and they foster positive public perception of the value of the doctorate
- Students can contribute to the public good in diverse ways through rigorous scholarship
- Quality of proposed scholarship. The following factors will be taken into account:
- The work requires a high level of expertise in a discipline(s) and/or methodology
- The goals are clearly defined, realistic, and identify important questions
- Adequate preparation for and understanding of the subject is indicated
- Appropriate methods are proposed to achieve the goals
- Plans to document and disseminate the work are appropriate and effective
- The work has significance and is likely to contribute positively to the public good
- Need for alternative funding sources
- Consideration will also be given to breadth of the initiative across disciplines
Number of Awards: Every year funding is available for up to 30-40 new students
Value of Award: Up to $10,000 twice, for a total of $20,000 per student is available to support innovative/collaborative scholarship which the student would otherwise be unable to pursue. Funding can be used for:
- A research allowance (including allowance for professional development or travel relevant to the scholarly work)
- Student stipend, if the student’s current funding source would not allow the alternative project(s)
Duration of Award: Up to 2 years
How to Apply: The applications are now open.
- (1) Download these 2 files from the link below (under the ‘Further Information’ section): PSI Fellowship Application 2020-2021; and PSI Fellowship Application Instructions 2020-2021
- (2) Following the guidelines, complete the Application form.
- (3) Upload the completed Application form and your Canadian Common CV as one pdf file (see instructions for details) to this link.
- (4) Once the form is downloaded you can edit and save the form by renaming it.
- (5) For the mandatory supervisor letter of support and the optional letter(s) of support from collaborators, your letter writers should go to this page. You can open the page, and share the link with them.
- (6) This will complete your application.
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
10 Best Places To Study Abroad If…
Don’t Take This Common Advice If…
7 Lessons from the 2020 Pandemic and Economic Threat