Future Leaders – African Independent Researchers (FLAIR) Fellowships 2020 for African Researchers
Future Leaders – African Independent Researchers (FLAIR) Fellowships are for talented African early career researchers who have the potential to become leaders in their field. These fellowships provide the opportunity to build an independent research career in a sub-Saharan African institution and to undertake cutting-edge scientific research that will address global challenges facing developing countries.
Application Deadline: 27th May 2020 3pm UK time.
Eligible Countries: African countries
About the Award: Each FLAIR Fellowship will be for two years initially and will offer up to £150,000 per year, alongside a programme of support to develop fellows as independent research leaders including training and mentoring, and opportunities to network both regionally and with the UK and to develop international collaborations.
Type: Research, Fellowship
Field of Research: Applications should be within the remit of natural sciences. This includes physics, chemistry, mathematics, computer science, engineering, agricultural, biological and medical research (excluding clinical and patient-orientated research), and the scientific aspects of archaeology, geography and experimental psychology but excluding economics, social science and humanities research.
Eligibility: You can apply for this scheme if you:
- Are a national of a sub-Saharan African country;
- Hold a PhD by the time you apply;
- Are an early career researcher with a minimum of two years of research experience since completing your PhD and no more than eight years of post-doctoral research experience;
- Wish to hold the fellowship in a research institution in an Official Development Assistance (ODA) eligible sub-Saharan African country;
- Have a clearly defined scientific research proposal focusing on one or more of the Global Challenge areas outlined in the scheme notes.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: This scheme provides an award of up to £150,000 per year for two years in the first instance, covering:
- Research Fellow’s salary, up to £45,000 per year.
- Research expenses
– Research assistance
– Equipment costs
– Travel expenses
– Research consumables
- Institutional overhead, up to £15,000 per year
The scheme also provides a programme of support and development, including:
- Training courses
- Opportunities for international collaboration
- Networking opportunities regionally and internationally
Duration of Programme: Each FLAIR Fellowship will be for two years initially. Holders may have the opportunity to apply for a renewal for an additional three years.
How to Apply:
- Applications should be made through the Royal Society’s grant management system Flexi-Grant®.
- It is important to go through all application requirements on the Programme Webpage (see link below) before applying
Hi! AfterSchoolAfrica believes in sharing value. If you have come across this opportunity, share with ONLY one person Today.