Marine Engineering or Maritime Engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the science, design, and construction of different machinery. They are used by various ships and sea vessels on the sea, inland, and other coastal waters. It also entails the working of propulsion technology, automation, piping technology, and other control systems of ships, boats, and other sea equipment. Marine Engineering takes all the features of other branches of engineering such as civil, mechanical, industrial, and electrical engineering.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to our newsletter here.
Table of Contents
Why Study Marine Engineering
Many top world businesses are carried out on the sea with the use of ships, boats, and various sea vessels. A Marine Engineer, ensures these ships and the other sea equipment are safe for use. They also ensure the safety of people and lives on board the ship.
Marine engineers are always in high demand and they can also function as the pilot of a ship. These engineers can also work as naval officers because they are always on the sea. They also check the ship equipment from time to time to ensure safety.
This discipline involves all other forms of engineering. Moreover, these various skills and talents altogether ensure the efficient and proper functioning of the ship and other sea equipment. All these make the profession stand out and you can even travel around the world doing a great job.
Professionals in this field are always in high demand most especially in countries with busy seaports. These Engineers are in charge of the maintenance and proper functioning of the ships, boats, and other sea equipment. They are to make sure there are no technical issues before the ship leaves the port and even during the journey.
How Long Does it Take to Get a Degree?
If you want to earn a bachelor’s degree in Marine Engineering, it can take up to 4 or 5 years of study in the university, and for a postgraduate or master’s degree, it will take up to a year, two years, or more depending on the course duration. It is worthy of note that, after the completion of an undergraduate degree, a Marine Engineer will have to take up a professional course of up to 1 year to obtain a license to operate. Although, this depends on the country of study.
Cost to Study Marine Engineering
Studying Marine Engineering can be expensive depending on the university you pick. Some schools are cheaper than others in their tuition cost. On average, the cost of studying Marine Engineering is about $33,000 to $35,000 for the duration of the study.
Salary Outlook for Marine Engineers
Generally, the remuneration for Marine engineers is attractive. According to the US Bureau of Labor’s recent Statistics, the average annual salary for a marine engineer is about $92,560.
Jobs Opportunities for Marine Engineers
There are several job opportunities available for graduates with a degree in Marine Engineering. They include naval Engineers, Marine specialists, combat engineers, hydrographic surveyors,s and so on. Marine Engineers can also work as professors in schools to teach other people aspiring to earn a degree in the profession. They also have a career as a Shipyard Project Engineer and also as Director of Maritime Operations in big seaports.
Marine Engineering Schools in the World Ranking
There are a lot of Marine engineering schools all over the world that take in students to teach and equip them with the necessary skills to be certified engineers. As we all know, some schools rank top and higher than other schools based on a few guidelines. Below are some of these ranking factors:
- Accreditation of the school: when a school is accredited by the government of the state where it is situated, it helps the ranking of the school as it is believed to be certified to have top quality. The accreditation of the school also categorizes it to be either national, state, or regional level.
- Graduation rate: how many of the students of the school graduate each year and how efficient are they? All these are also considered when ranking a school.
- Employment: when ranking a school, it is important also to check the employment rates of its graduates after school. How many percent of its students are employed by great institutions after obtaining a degree?
- Programs available in the school: it is very important to note the kind of programs made available by the maritime school for its students and the duration of each program. Also the acceptance rate of students. If the rate is high then it is considered to be a school with low quality.
Best Marine Engineering Universities in the World
Below are the best Marine Engineering Universities in the World many of them located in the US or UK. These institutions offer amazing programs for all levels of study. Be it undergraduate, master’s, or postgraduate degrees, these schools rank top as they offer world-class programs, and these open up opportunities for employment for their students after graduation.
Top 20 Marine Universities in the World
- Norwegian University of Science and Technology: It is located in Norway and offers high education courses for various degree levels for students from all over the world.
- Texas A&M University
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University: this institution is one of the first in China for Marine Engineering courses.
- Massachusetts Maritime Academy: MIT is one of the best marine engineering institutions in the US as it offers programs on ship designs and other naval vehicles as well.
- Technical University of Denmark
- University of Tasmania
- University of Strathclyde: this institution is located in Glasgow, Scotland. It offers various courses which help the students to achieve their dreams as naval officers and marine engineers.
- Newcastle University: it is located in Newcastle, England. The institution offers both graduate and postgraduate courses in marine engineering and their students are world-class graduates.
- University of Southampton: is located in Southampton, England, and offers graduate and postgraduate courses in marine engineering. The institution also offers professional opportunities for its students.
- University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
- University of California, San Diego
- Chalmers University of Technology
- Colorado State University
- Plymouth University: is situated in Plymouth, England. It offers about two programs only for marine engineering. The major difference between this university with other institutions is that it awards its students with professional diplomas.
- Griffith University
- Delft University of Technology
- National Technical University of Athens
- The University of Tokyo
- The University of New South Wales
- Maritime University of the Caribbean
Other Marine Engineering Colleges You Can Explore
Aside from the listed best marine engineering schools, there are other colleges located in different parts of the world you can explore and some of them are listed below:
- California Institute of Technology
- Maritime University of the Caribbean
- Maine Maritime Academy
- Massachusetts Maritime Academy
- Global Maritime Academy, Nigeria
- Nigeria Marine University
- SUNY Maritime College
- University of New Orleans
- University of Trieste, naval architecture, marine engineering
- Liepaja Maritime College
Best Marine Engineering Schools in the USA
These schools rank as the best marine engineering schools in the USA. Although there are other colleges of learning, these schools are ranked top for marine engineering studies depending on some factors such as the number of programs offered, acceptance rate, accreditation, and so on.
- United States Merchant Marine Academy
- California State University Maritime Academy
- Maine Maritime Academy
- Massachusetts Maritime Academy
- Texas A&M Maritime Academy
- Atlantis Maritime Academy
- Fremont Maritime Services
- Gulf Coast Maritime Academy
- Atlantic Maritime Academy
- Maritime Institute Inc, San Diego, California
Marine Engineering Schools Online
Although there are no specific marine engineering schools online as most of the degrees are obtained in an institution or college there are some marine engineering schools in the United Kingdom that offer master’s degrees via remote or distance learning programs on some courses for marine engineering. Some of these universities and institutions are; Heriot-Watt University, Coventry University, University of Portsmouth, etc.
As a marine engineer, one can work as part of the country’s Navy forces as they are always on the sea, they can also work as ship technicians and even as a pilot of ships. The good part of this particular profession is that females are also welcome to take up the profession if the interest is there. Marine Engineering is a job for the future as most countries with business seaports are always in high demand for these engineers. There are various world-class institutions and colleges which offer courses for bachelor, master, and also postgraduate degrees for young men and willing women to achieve their dreams.
Wondering how to go about your admission processing into schools in the US and Canada? Don’t worry! We’ve got your back! Enrolling in the top universities in the world can increase your chances with employers. Unfortunately, it can be quite expensive to study abroad due to the current economic crisis. But this shouldn’t limit you as there are other options you can explore to enhance your career.
MPower Finance and Prodigy Finance are some of the best student loan providers for international students. They also do not require any cosigner or collateral before application. At EdXtra Associates, we can help you with your loan application process. We also provide educational consultancy services for international students to help make your journey easier and faster. You can reach out to us, as we’d love to guide you through this journey.