How to Travel Abroad for Free – Scholarships, Fellowships +More
Can One Travel Abroad for Free?
Many people especially youths and young adults are becoming more interested in traveling abroad for free – leaving their home countries for a more advanced society and this has been a bone of contention as many people have sought after diverse means of leaving their countries.
Before now, people who were so desperate to leave their hometown went through illegal means such as illegal boarding of ships crossing the sea into another nation. Unfortunately for some, they lost their lives in the process. Over 10,000 people have died on the Mediterranean route and the deserts. Those who died in the deserts are far more than the dead victims along the Mediterranean route.
The quest to move to a greener pasture has been a major concern, especially in Africa. Many young people are of the opinion that there are better opportunities outside the shores of their continents, luring them into all sorts of illegal migration.
This article will explain diverse opportunities and routes opened to legally migrate into more favorable continents without paying much or at all. Today it is easier to travel abroad free through various scholarship schemes, workshops, conferences, be it academics or professional, fellowships or even visa lottery.
Travel Abroad for Free on Scholarship
Any hesitation about studying abroad is usually related to the cost, however, what most students don’t know is that they can apply their on-campus aid package in addition to scholarship. A study abroad scholarship is a monetary award for students to use towards the expenses of their programme, such as travel cost, credit, books and lodging. Some scholarships are highly competitive while some are under-utilized. There are several types of study abroad scholarships to apply for such as: merit-based, these awards are based on a student’s academic, artistic, athletic or other abilities. Qualifications for different scholarships may vary from the other.
Over time, many students around the world, especially the developing nations have been benefitting from the free scholarship programmes organized by different agencies to make their study experience a smooth one. Studying abroad usually comes with a hefty price tag and only a few people are able to afford it, however, scholarship programmes have helped to bridge the gap between the rich and the poor by providing form leverage for brilliant students who are not able to fund their studies. Although scholarship applications may be rigorous and stressful it offers a wonderful pay cut if you are able to scale through the hurdles. Some scholarships offer even free residence and also bear the cost of study materials aside from tuition.
In essence, you get a good quality education at no cost and even live your dream of traveling abroad at no cost. In order to become a beneficiary, you need to take some certain steps which include; ask for help, First and foremost, don’t be afraid to reach out to the people around you for help. It is also important for you to do your personal research, it cannot be said enough. The more scholarships you can apply for, the more financial aid you will get. Some scholarships are merit-based, student-specific, destination-specific, program-specific, subject-specific, University-Provided Study Abroad Scholarships/Grants, Organization-Provided Scholarships/Grants, Government-Funded Scholarships/Grants for Study Abroad.
It is also very important to contact the scholarship board. Contact the Scholarship/Grant Funder Directly to confirm the availability and eligibility status for the scholarship. After confirming the scholarship, align your resume as it is an important part of your application. Cover letters go hand-in-hand with resumes, and are sometimes a crucial part of an application, as they can be your one chance to make an argument for why you deserve to be awarded a scholarship. Most study abroad scholarship essays and applications require personal references; that is, someone you’ve worked with either in a professional or academic setting. Therefore, it is important you choose and contact your referee. The next phase is to apply after gathering all the necessary documents.
Top 10 Fully – Funded Scholarships to Travel Abroad
- Chevening Scholarship – UK: it is the UK government international award program, aimed at developing global leaders since 1983 funded by the foreign and commonwealth office and partner organization. They offer two types of awards, Chevening scholarship and Chevening fellowship. The recipients are personally selected by the British embassy and High commission throughout the world. It is awarded to approximately 1500 individuals every year. It offers full financial support for a master degree at any of the UK universities.
- Commonwealth Scholarship: The Commonwealth commission offers around 800 awards for postgraduate study and professional development; over 27500 commonwealth scholars and fellow have been funded by the UK government CSC since 1959. There are several CSC and fellowships tenable at designated UK universities and open to undergraduate, masters and PhD, depending on the commonwealth country.
- Chinese Government Scholarship: The Chinese government and provincial government in addition to university and industry bigwig as well as its various foundations are one of the greatest scholarship providers in the world for both international students and Chinese citizens.
- Fulbright Foreign Scholarship: it enables graduate students, young professionals and artists from abroad to study and conduct research in US. The scholarships are for studies towards a master’s or PhD degree and can also be awarded to a non-degree postgraduate study applicant.
- Australia Award Scholarship: the government offers up to 1000 Australian awards to students from developing countries every year. This scholarship is one of the exceptional ones because it prioritizes work experience over academic grade and qualification. A second class graduate can win this scholarship if he or she puts in a good scholarship application.
- Schwarzman Scholars Program: Up to 200 scholars win the award yearly. The basis of selection is not only on academic but also their leadership potential, entrepreneurial spirit, ability to anticipate and act on emerging trends and opportunities. All qualified candidates must have completed their undergraduate degrees prior to enrolment and English language proficiency.
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) Scholarship: This is one of the very popular scholarships offered by the German government, DAAD supports up to 80% of degree programmes of particular interest to students from developing countries. It ranges from bachelor’s, masters and doctorate research. It could be full or partial scholarship.
- New Zealand Commonwealth and Developing Scholarship: The development scholarship gives the participant the opportunity to gain knowledge and skills in a specific area. The scholarship provides financial support for tuition, living costs and airfares.
- Mastercard Scholarship: It started in 2012, the program provides financial, social and academic support to scholars. Financial support includes tuition fee, accommodation, books and other scholastic materials. Students can apply to study at selected universities in US, Canada, UK and Africa.
- Joint Japan World Bank Group Scholarship Program: The scholarship covers the cost of completing a master’s degree, return air, travel allowances, tuition and cost of basic medical and accident insurance. The scholarship is for a maximum duration of two years.
Travel Abroad for Free for Fellowships
Fellowships for international students are available for undergraduate, graduate, masters, PhD and postdoctoral degree programs.
Top 10 Fully-Funded Fellowships to Travel Abroad for Free
- Postdoctoral Fellowship Position for International Students at Federal University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
The program is open for the international and domestic students who want to apply for the postdoctoral fellowship at the Federal University of Sao Paulo. Applications are accepted from around the world. To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the given criteria: The candidate must have completed the PhD less than 7 (seven) years ago. The scholarship assumes exclusive dedication to the research project.
- QMUL Fully Funded International B.A. Krukoff Fellowship in Systematics
The program focuses on research skills and methods, training fellows to become both scholars and practitioners in the fields of governance and the economics of technology. The United Nations University – Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (UNU-MERIT) is a research and training institute of United Nations University based in Maastricht in the south of the Netherlands. Applications are accepted from around the world. Fellowship is awarded to pursue a PhD degree program in Innovation, Economics and Governance for Development.
- Perry World House Global Innovation Program Postdoctoral Fellowships in USA
The fellowships are available for students from all over the world. The fellowship program is seeking postdoctoral fellows who want to study global affairs and have an interest in interdisciplinary outreach and policy relevance.
- Bright Minds Fellowships at Utrecht University in the Netherlands
Outstanding students have a great chance to apply for the Bright Minds Fellowships offered by the Utrecht University. The fellowship is available to undertake a Master’s degree program. The scholarship aims to attract and retain talented students from a broad range of backgrounds, as well as stimulate and support global excellence and diversity in the students. EU/EEA including Dutch students are eligible to apply for the fellowships.
- 100 Leverhulme Early Career Fellowships at the Department of Archaeology, Cambridge University, UK
Applications are open for Leverhulme Early Career Fellowships 2020 at the Department of Archaeology, University of Cambridge. The Leverhulme Trust Board is offering 100 three-year postdoctoral fellowship awards. Applications are open for all nationalities.
- City University of Hong Kong International PhD Scholarship in Architectural and Urban Design
It offers a range of degree programs nationally and globally. Applications from all nationalities are acceptable.
- City University of Hong Kong International PhD Scholarship in Architectural and Urban Design
The fully-funded PhD program is open to students from all nationalities who have a BS or MS degree in Architecture, Urban Design or closely related fields and wish to gain a higher degree in this fast-growing field. Applicants are eligible to pursue a PhD in architecture and urban design. The benefits include doctoral funding for 4 years ranging from HK$17000 to 25800 per month (around EUR 2000 – 3000 per month). Winners will get an international, dynamic and stimulating work environment.
- Dianne Woest International Fellowship in the Arts and Humanities
The fund is open for both domestic and international students. The Fellowship is available for doctoral candidates, academic or museum professionals, and independent scholars. It aims to encourage fellows to explore research facilities in the Greater New Orleans area. Candidates who apply must hold an undergraduate or master’s degree at the time of admission. If English is not your first language then you must submit a copy of a recent English language test certificate or provide details of when you are going to take the test.
- ALPSS Honours / Postgraduate Diploma Awards for International Students at University of Waikato
This funding opportunity is exclusively open for domestic and international students. The awards are offered twice a year (for A and B Semesters) to support and encourage students who are enrolling in their first year of study at 500- level. The studentships are awarded to pursue Honours / Postgraduate degree in Arts, Law, Psychology and Social Sciences.
- Full Tuition William R. Berkley program at NYU Stern School of Business, USA
The New York University Leonard N. Stern School of Business is the business school of New York University with 202 full-time faculty and 74 adjunct professors. It offers a broad spectrum of academic programs at the graduate and undergraduate levels. Domestic and international students are eligible to apply. The sponsorship will be awarded to pursue Full-time MBA, Fashion & Luxury MBA or Andre Koo Tech MBA.
Travel Abroad for Free on Internships
Interning abroad is one of the best investments you can make in yourself as a young professional. It helps your resume stand out, builds concrete cross-cultural skills, and gives you direct experience in a region of the world that interests you, helping you further develop an area of expertise in the global job marketplace. Although, like any investment, an international internship can be costly. Several internship providers charge thousands of dollars for short-term placements, not including airfare and the cost of food and housing once you arrive. There are ways, however, to get the experience without an over-inflated price tag.
Top 10 Fully-Funded Internships to Travel Abroad for Free
- Government of Japan Internships: Every year, more than 100 internship slots are opened by the Japan Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry. With this internship, you will receive 4,000 yen daily for living expenses throughout your internship. You will also receive round-trip air ticket, Internship insurance, Transportation and accommodation expenses including training program fees when participating in the training.
- Government of Italy Invest Your Talent Scholarship: The Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation funds program where international students can undertake a Laurea Magistrale or Master degree followed by a mandatory 9 month internship at selected Italian companies.
- World Bank Internship: The World Bank Group, in its effort to provide graduate students practical experience in global development, offers World Bank paid internship for Young Graduates. The Bank Group pays an hourly salary to all interns and, if needed, provides an allowance towards travel expenses.
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) Internship Program for International Students: provides an opportunity for postgraduate students to gain an insider experience of the integrated, member country focused, mandate and work of the IMF. Internships are offered to about 50 masters and PhD students each year. IMF interns receive a competitive salary, Round-trip air travel and limited medical insurance coverage.
- European Commission Traineeship: The EU has a 5-month traineeship where university students from all over the world get to work at executive bodies and agencies of the European Institutions. In this internship, a per month living allowance will be offered in addition to visa and medical allowances.
- IBM Great Minds Student Internships: The Great Minds internship by IBM is a competition for internships of 3 to 6 months at one of IBM’s Research Labs in Zurich, Nairobi, or Johannesburg for students from Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
- Google Business Internship: The Google Business Internship is open twice in a year; the Google Winter internship and the Google Spring internship. This 6-month internship by Google is offered to undergraduate or masters students in their penultimate year. As an intern, you’ll have the opportunity to work on projects central to Google’s business, whether it is Sales, Google for Work, Finance, People Operations (HR), Legal, Trust and Safety, or Marketing. It is a paid internship programme.
- African Development Bank Internship: African Development Bank offers several internship spots to current masters students from its member African countries. As an intern of the AfDB, you will be provided with a monthly stipend but you do have to cover other expenses by yourself.
- Employment-Based Scholarship Programme for International Students: This internship offered by the Irish council is to postgraduate students who want to be employed while undertaking research in a qualified higher institution. So if you want to pursue your master’s degree, Masters by research or PhD in Ireland, then go for this scholarship which comes with an internship program.
- Open Society Internship: If you are a master’s student interested in public policy and open society, apply for this internship. The internship will involve a clinical seminar fully paid for at the School of Public Policy at Central European University Budapest, followed by an 8- to a 12-week internship at an outstanding nongovernmental organization. The internship also includes a stipend covering daily expenses, visa costs, accommodation, travel insurance and relocation fund.
Travel abroad for Free for Conferences.
Conferences bring together people from all different geographical areas who share a common discipline, and this a great way to meet new people. There are a lot of free conferences available to people in different disciplines, giving them the opportunity to learn or communicate their research findings.
Top 10 Fully-Funded Conferences to Travel Abroad for Free
- POGO-SCOR Visiting Fellowships For Developing Countries: a Partial Funding international scholarship offered by The Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR) for international students.
- Travel Research Grant to Poland for 3 Months: This Conferences & Travel Grants scholarship can be taken for pursuing in Law (in particular human rights, constitutional law, international law); political science; contemporary history.
- United Nations Journalism Fellowships in US: a Partial Funding international scholarship offered by The Dag HammarskjÃ¶ld Fund for international students. This Conferences & Travel Grants scholarship can be taken for pursuing in Journalism.
- University of Toronto – Petro Jacyk Visiting Scholars Program in Canada: is a Full Funding international scholarship offered by the University of Toronto for international students. This Conferences & Travel Grants scholarship can be taken for pursuing in This focus includes state- and institution- building in Ukraine; law and governance; problems of democratization; education, culture and identity of the nation and ethnic groups in Ukraine; history and the imperial past; and foreign policy and international relations.
- Turkey Europe Future Forum Program: is a Partial Funding international scholarship offered by the Istanbul Policy Center at Sabanci University and Stiftung Mercator for international students. This Conferences & Travel Grants scholarship can be taken for pursuing in International Relations between Turkey and Europe.
- Diplomat Summer Fellowship Program for Social Innovators: is a Partial Funding international scholarship offered by the Diplomat for international students. This Conferences & Travel Grants scholarship can be taken for pursuing in Entrepreneurship and social innovation.
- Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada – Media Fellowships: is a Partial Funding international scholarship offered by the Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada for international students.
- Rotary Peace Fellowships: is a Full Funding international scholarship offered by the Rotary International for international students. Open to all nationalities; this Masters, Conferences & Travel Grants scholarship can be taken for pursuing in Peace and conflict prevention and resolution.
- Visiting Graduate Research Internship: This Conferences & Travel Grants scholarship can be taken for pursuing in Applied Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Health, Safety & Environment Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Petroleum Engineering or Petroleum Geosciences. It is a Partial Funding international scholarship.
- T2M Fellowship for International Researchers: is a Partial Funding international scholarship offered by the University of Turin / Università Degli Studi di Torino (UNITO) for international students. This PhD, Post Doc, Conferences & Travel Grants scholarship can be taken for pursuing in All scientific research disciplines, except Engineering and Architecture.
In conclusion, there are diverse means of bringing the dreams of traveling abroad for free to reality without being involved in illegal acts. This is even especially available to young people who wish to study abroad. There are hundreds of scholarships, internships, fellowships and conferences schemes available to make this dream come through.
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
10 Best Places To Study Abroad If…
Don’t Take This Common Advice If…
7 Lessons from the 2020 Pandemic and Economic Threat