The GEST programme at the University of Iceland offers, in collaboration with Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda, a Ph.D grant to a researcher in the Humanities and/or Social Sciences.
Application Deadline: 13th March 2020 (midnight GMT).
Eligible Countries: Uganda
To be Taken at (University): University of Iceland
About the Award: The doctoral project shall be on a topic related to Sustainability and Gender Equality in Sub- Saharan Africa. The aim is to improve understanding of the gendered aspect of sustainability in Sub-Saharan countries preferably with a focus on important issues of global environmental change such as climate, biodiversity and ecosystem services, food security or water resources. The subject matter can be approached in various ways and scales, using local/national, regional, and historical or contemporary perspectives.
- Applicants shall be from Uganda and hold Ugandan citizenship, and must have a first class Master’s degree from an accredited university in a relevant field and fulfill all other requirements for admission to a UI doctoral program. Proficiency in both written and spoken English is required. The successful candidate must enrol in a Ph.D. program at the University of Iceland (UI) in a field that has direct relevance for the project and will be guided through the application process.
- The candidate will be co-supervised by a team of specialists from University of Iceland and Makerere University, appointed by the University of Iceland.
- Data collection and field work, if applicable, is expected to be conducted primarily in Uganda. The Ph.D. candidateship will also entail at least one short-term study period in Iceland, and possible other travel, e.g. for conferences and workshops.
- The Ph.D. degree will thus be the result of a joint effort between the University of Iceland and Makerere University.
Number of Awards: 1
Value of Award: Appointments to positions at the University of Iceland are made in consideration of the Equal Rights Policy of the University of Iceland.
Duration of Award: The successful candidate will be offered an initial contract for one year, with the possibility of a renewal for two additional years, subject to a progress review. Research work terms are negotiable.
How to Apply: The application deadline is March 13th 2020 (midnight GMT).
The GEST application form shall be completed by the applicant and sent with the following supporting documents to [email protected] :
- CV, including published works (if applicable)
- Scanned copies of diplomas and transcripts
- Personal statement/Statement of purpose
- Two letters of reference
- Research Proposal
Please see further instructions on the supporting documents in the application form.
- It is important to go through all application requirements before applying.