Call for Proposals: UNU-WIDER Regional Growth and Development for Southern Africa’s Prosperity 2019
UNU-WIDER, together with SA-TIED partners the National Treasury of the Republic of South Africa (NT) and the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), invite proposals from qualified researchers for high quality economic and/or political economy analysis in any of the five focus areas of the work stream on regional growth and development for Southern Africa‘s prosperity.
Application Deadline: 7th July 2019
About the Award: United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER) is implementing, together with its partners over the period 2017–20, a research programme entitled Southern Africa – Toward Inclusive Economic Development (SA-TIED) with the aim of enhancing economic research, capacity-building, and policy dialogue in Southern Africa. This request is for research proposals relevant to South Africa’s role in the larger regional economy of Southern Africa.
As Southern Africa’s largest economy, South Africa’s national economic policy decisions often have regional repercussions. This area of research is designed to enhance our understanding of the South African economy within the larger Southern Africa regional context. It consists of five focus areas:
- South Africa, SADC and Beyond
- South Africa as a Regional Investor
- the Spatial Economy of Southern Africa
- the Political Economy of Regional Growth
- Strengthening Regional Value Chains
An important aspect of the research design is to encourage systematic integration of political economy perspectives under each focus area.
While submissions of research proposals in any of the above five focus areas are welcome, the organizers are particularly interested in receiving proposals for research on focus area 3. the Spatial Economy of Southern Africa. Proposals for comparative, country-level research on the different approaches, implementation experiences, and outcomes — positive and negative — of industrial development zones (IDZs), special economic zones (SEZs) and/or export processing zones (EPZs) in Southern Africa would be especially welcome.
Proposals from individuals, groups of individuals, as well as non-profit organizations are welcome. Researchers can be based in Southern Africa or internationally and can combine researchers from different countries and institutions. Special consideration will be given to Southern African research teams that include junior and early-career researchers, as well as researchers from previously disadvantaged groups.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:
- A total research honorarium in the range of US$3,000-10,000 will be paid upon delivery of a working paper, depending on the qualifications of the lead researcher and assessment of the proposal. In addition, a local expenses allowance of maximum US$2,500 per proposal (for teams entirely consisting of South African researchers) and US$5,000 per proposal (for teams with international researchers) will be paid, depending on an assessment of costs required to undertake the proposed research.
- The remuneration and local expense allowance will be expected to cover all costs associated with the conduct of all research proposed under the proposal, except for attendance at workshops and other knowledge-sharing and dissemination events.
How to Apply:
- The submission of proposals is done electronically using the appropriate form on the left column of this page. There are three forms to select from; one for individuals, another for groups of individuals, and a third for NGOs. The deadline for submitting proposals is 7 July 2019 23:59 UTC+3.
- Details (such as address, gender, nationality, date of birth) of all researchers involved are required to be entered into the form. Uploads of the proposal document and brief CVs (two pages or less) of the researcher(s) are also required. Applicants should familiarize themselves with the form in advance.
- It is important to go through all application requirements on the Programme Webpage (see link below) before applying
Hi! AfterSchoolAfrica believes in sharing value. If you have come across this opportunity, share with ONLY one person Today.