World Bank WACWISA Masters & Ph.D. Scholarships 2022/2023: West African Centre for Water, Irrigation and Sustainable Agriculture (WACWISA) at the University for Development Studies, Ghana is accepting applications for Masters and Ph.D. programmes under the World Bank African Centre’s of Excellence Impact (ACE Impact) Project…
Application Deadline: 31st January 2022. 12:00 mid-night GMT
Eligible Countries: African countries
To be taken at (country): Ghana
About the WACWISA Award: The Scholarship Award Scheme (SAS) is provided by the Government of Ghana (GoG) and the World Bank (WB) to support promising African students to pursue Masters (MSc/MPhil) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) study programmes in Irrigation and Drainage Engineering and Environmental Management and Sustainability to conduct related research in the West African sub-region in particular and the Africa Region at large. Enrolled students will be supported to develop international experience in one or more of the WACWISA’s international partners’ laboratories and field stations. The need for highly trained skilled professionals is paramount given the issues of water scarcity and the need for the development of functional and efficient irrigation infrastructure in Africa. This is towards the ultimate goal for the intensification of agriculture, increased productivity, and food security.
The selection of beneficiaries of the Scholarship Award Scheme (SAS) shall be subject to the maintenance of a high-grade academic performance during the coursework, successful development and defense of research proposal during the first 6 to 12 months of the programme, and high-level performance of progress of students.
Type: Masters, PhD
Eligibility: WACWISA applicants should:
- Meet the standard University for Development Studies Admission requirement for both local and international students.
- Apply for the Masters/Doctor of Philosophy programme in Irrigation and Drainage Engineering at the University for Development Studies.
- Submit an official/certified academic transcript from the previous University of study and a certified copy of academic certificates,with official English translation provided where necessary
- For the Masters programme, candidates must have the following qualifications: MPhil Irrigation and Drainage Engineering – A Bachelor’s degree (honours) or equivalent with at least a Second-Class Upper Division in Agricultural Engineering, Civil Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, Soil and Water Conservation and Management, Horticulture, Agronomy, Hydrology and Watershed Management and Engineering, Agricultural Technology, Soil Science or related fields.
- MSc/MPhil Environmental Management and Sustainability – A Bachelor’s degree (honours) or equivalent with at least a Second-Class Upper Division in Natural Resources Science and Management, Biology, Agriculture, Development Studies, Geography, Environmental Studies/Science or related fields.
- For the PhD programme, candidates must have a minimum qualification: PhD Irrigation and Drainage Engineering – Research-based Masters degree or equivalent in related field (Agricultural Engineering, Civil Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, Soil and Water Conservation and Management, Horticulture, Agronomy, Hydrology and Watershed Management and Engineering, Agricultural Technology, Soil Science).
- PhD Environmental Management and Sustainability – Research-based Masters degree or equivalent in related field in Natural Resources Science and Management, Biology, Agriculture, Development Studies, Geography, Environmental Studies/Science.
- Practical field training/experience in irrigation and drainage related activities is an advantage.
- Masters applicants must submit a three (3) page and PhD five (5) page maximum research proposalwhichshall contain a research topic, background, problem statement and justification, objectives, materials and methods and expected results.
- Applicants shall submit a two (2) page statement of motivation outlining theirfitness forthe study programme and benefit of the training to theirhome country and Africa in general.
- All applicants to the Masters or PhD programmesmust submit two (2) academic letters of reference andone (1) professional letter of reference.
- Provide a detailed curriculum vitae (CV) – maximum two (2) pages
- All applicants shall be interviewed.
- Applicants must be less than 35 years for the Masters programme and less than 40 years for PhD
- Be nationals of and resident in Africa.
- Provide a copy of Identity Card (ID) or Bio-data page of National Passport
Note: Female candidates in the West-Africa sub-region are particularly encouraged to apply.
The program training language is solely in English. Francophone candidates with proven evidence of competence in English are encouraged to apply.
However, the program will provide ten (10) weeks of certificate language competency training (English and French)to selected candidates prior to the start of the academic year.
Number of Awards:
Value of WACWISA Award: The scholarship is tenable at the University for Development Studies, School of Engineering and shall cover the following:
- Tuition, Research and Learning Costs
The scholarship will cover the official University fees for Master’s students (24 months) and Ph.D. students (36 months) at the University for Development Studies, School of Engineering. This will include tuition, registration, examination, matriculation, Student Identity Card, ICT, and library. These will be payable to the University for Development Studies.
- Monthly Stipend
The scholarship includes a monthly stipend to cover accommodation, living expenses, health insurance, and other personal incidentals.
- Research Costs
This research cost will cover transport, field data collection, software, and other student project-related costs.
- International Placement/Mobility Costs
Students may be supported and placed in international laboratories of partner institutions for the conduct of research where need be and to expose them to the international setting to gain international experience. This will cover travel costs in a return economy class ticket and living expenses for a period of between three (3) to six (6) months.
Duration of Award: The program duration is 24 months for MPhil and 48 months for Ph.D.
How to Apply:
Applicants should submit full complement of documentation to [email protected] and copy [email protected] with a subject line “WACWISA Masters and Ph.D. scholarships”
All applicants must also submit applications for admission into the relevant programme at the University for Development Studies, Tamale – Ghana available at www.uds.edu.gh
For further information, please contact the following:
West African Centre for Water, Irrigation and Sustainable Agriculture
University for Development Studies
Email: [email protected]
West African Centre for Water, Irrigation and Sustainable Agriculture (WACWISA)
University for Development Studies
Email: [email protected]
- It is important to go through all application requirements on the Programme Webpage (see link below) before applying
Visit Award Webpage for Details