US – South Africa Staff Doctoral Programme in Global Health 2019/2020 for South African Academic Staff
The University of the Free State, the University of Venda and the University of Virginia (US) have joined forces to advance the training of academically excellent staff members for doctoral degrees in the field of Global Health, who are in addition highly interculturally competent and capacitated to advance academic collaboration between South African and US higher education institutions.
Application Deadline: 12th February 2019.
Eligible Countries: South Africa
To be taken at (country):
About the Award: The tripartite partnership aims to provide an enabling environment for high quality mentoring and supplementary resources, to obtain doctorate degrees in the health sciences, with a focus on global health. The awards may be made in any discipline in global health.
Type: PhD, Training
- Candidates must be academic staff members of the partner universities orprofessional staff in their developmental career stage who support the academic function and occupy permanent full-time positions at one of the South African partner universities.
- Preference will be given to younger candidates who have established themselves in academia by attaining positions as Heads of Departments or Senior Lecturers that aspire to have a PhD.
- Evidence of academic leadership potential will be a strong recommendation
- Candidates must have a track record of academic excellence.
- Candidates must be South African citizens or permanent residents.
- 80 percent of the cohort must be black and/or female staff members in the mid-forties or younger.
Selection: The participants in this staff doctoral training programme will be determined through a formal recruitment process. Applications will be screened for completeness and assessed by key representatives of the partner institutions for suitability for participation in the programme. Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed to understand their readiness to embark on a doctoral programme, interest in global health science, and career plans in academia. The universities reserve the right not to make appointments. Further calls for applications to this staff doctoral programme may follow.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:
- The doctoral candidates will be involved in regular (quarterly) virtual cohort meetings. At the meetings, the doctoral candidates will share their proposals and discuss the progress of their doctoral work. The cohort meetings will be attended by all candidates and their respective supervisors.Every doctoral candidate will participate in a one-month mobility to the University of Virginia in the United States. The candidate will be joined for one week by her or his South African supervisor.
- In addition, ancillary trainings workshops, such as the ethics and responsible conduct of research, the art of scientific writing, research grant proposal writing, innovation, implementation and leadership in research, science and society will be organized and will be compulsory for all students. Facilitation of the ancillary sessions will be supplemented by renowned individuals in global health science and practice. Invited facilitators will include women to provide perspective and motivation for women in academia.
Duration of Programme:
How to Apply: Follow application instructions in link below
- It is important to go through all application requirements on the Programme Webpage see link below) before applying