CERN Summer Student Internship: Are you currently studying for a Bachelor or Master degree in Physics, Engineering, Computer Science or Mathematics? Are you looking for a practical training period during the European summer (June – September)? If so, this could be the opportunity for you: apply now for the CERN Summer Student Programme!
Application Deadline: 31st January 2020
Eligible Countries: Member and Non-Member countries
About the Award: Over a period of 8 to 13 weeks, you will work on an advanced technical project in an experimental or engineering team.
During this unique and exciting time, you can attend a series of lectures specially prepared for you where experts and scientists from around the world share their knowledge about a wide range of topics in the fields of theoretical and experimental particle physics, engineering and computing. Visits to the CERN facilities, as well as discussion sessions and workshops are also key features of the programme. Find out more on the Summer Student information page: https://hr-dep.web.cern.ch/content/summer-students. A short report on your work and project at CERN will be expected at the end of your stay.
Eligibility: In order to qualify for a place on the programme you will need to meet the following requirements:
- You are a Bachelor or Master student (not PhD) in Physics, Engineering, Computer Science or Mathematics and should have completed, by the European Summer 2020, at least three years of full-time studies at university level.
- You will remain registered as a student during your stay at CERN. If you expect to graduate during European summer 2020 (as of May), you are also eligible to apply.
- You have not worked at CERN before with any other status (Technical Student, Trainee, User or other status) for more than 3 months.
- You have a good knowledge of English; knowledge of French would be an advantage.
Candidates of all nationalities are welcome to apply for this Summer Student Programme.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: CERN would very much like to benefit from your expertise, commitment and passion.
In return, CERN will provide you with:
- A contract of association of 8 to 13 weeks* to work on a technical project.
- An extensive physics lecture programme (students will also be able to attend a series of IT lectures organized by Openlab).
- A 90 CHF per calendar day (net of tax) subsistence allowance to cover the cost of accommodation and meals in the Geneva area for a single person for the whole contract duration.
- A travel allowance on a lump sum basis paid at the end of your stay to help you with the cost of travel between Geneva and your residence at the time of the selection committee,
- Coverage by CERN’s comprehensive Health Insurance scheme (contribution already deducted from allowance).**
- Assistance to find accommodation on the CERN site or nearby.
Duration of Programme: 8 weeks
Possible arrival dates
- Every Monday from beginning to end of June, namely 2 June*, 8 June 15 June, 22 June and 29 June 2020.
- *Exception is Tuesday 11th June, as Monday 10th 2019 is a bank holiday at CERN.
How to Apply: You will need the following documents to complete your application (please make sure to name the documents accordingly e.g. CV, motivation letter, academic transcript, reference letter):
- A CV in either English or French.
- A copy of your most recent academic transcript giving an overview of your marks (if you download it from your university portal please make sure the document is not protected so that we can open it).
- At least one reference letter (dated less than 12 months), preferably 2, from your lecturers.
Please make sure you have all the documents requested to hand when you start your application on our career portal as they cannot be added after its completion (only reference letters can be submitted afterwards).
Once your application has been submitted, you will receive a confirmation e-mail which contains a link. You must forward this link to at least one referee, so that they can upload their recommendation letter. Please note that this must be done before the application deadline (31 January 2020).