The International River Foundation offers the Vera Thiess Fellowship for Women in Developing Countries.
Application Deadline: 13th July 2018.
Eligible Countries: Developing Countries
To Be Taken At (Country): Sydney, Australia
About the Award: The International River Foundation’s Vera Thiess Fellowship for Women gives women from developing countries the opportunity to gain valuable work experience through the IRF and its partners, with the goal of advancing women’s participation in water and river management. This fellowship goes not only towards supporting the selected candidate, but towards continuing the important work of bridging the gap in women’s participation in river basin management.
Eligibility: Applicants must:
- Be female
- Be a recent graduate or in the first five years of their career
- Have a demonstrated interest in sustainable river basin management
- Demonstrate their motivation, leadership and ability to undertake this fellowship
- Be able to travel internationally in 2018 and 2019
- Be willing to share their Fellowship finding with the IRF and broader international river community
Selection Criteria: Applications will be judged on:
- Demonstrated passion and commitment to sustainable river basin management
- Proactive utilisation of opportunities to advance river knowledge, management and restoration
- Achievements in river knowledge, management and restoration
- Academic achievement
- Demonstrated efforts to further women in river management
- Anticipated outcomes of the fellowship
- Ability to leverage additional financial and/or in-kind support
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The recipient of the Vera Thiess Fellowship will be funded to attend the 21st International River symposium in Sydney, Australia (14-18 October 2018), where the fellowship will be formally awarded.
Other benefits for the fellow include:
- Strong personal and professional development through interaction with world-leading river basin management practitioners
- Experience in putting ideas into action in the workplace and on-ground
- The chance to provide personal insights while gaining further exposure in the river community, by writing articles for the IRF’s social media channels
- The opportunity to attend the International Riversymposium in 2018 and 2019
- Invited to participated in the IRF’s Diversity in Water networking event at IRS each year (and EWPP?)
- Access to the valuable IRF networks to build beneficial linkages in the global water sector
Duration of Programme: 14-18 October 2018
How to Apply: Apply Here
Award Providers: International River Foundation