Grigri Pixel: Call for African Initiatives (Full-funded to Madrid, Spain) 2018
This call launches the third edition of Grigri Pixel, scheduled from 15 to 28 October in Madrid, and which will focus on claiming the right to the city.
Application Deadline: 24th June 2018.
Eligible Countries: African countries
To Be Taken At (Country): Medialab Prado, Spain
About the Award: The call goes out to organisations or groups that have a proven track record in the field of collaborative and free culture and in the promotion and generation of citizen collaboration and innovation networks in their local environment.
Type: Workshop, Contest
- The call goes out to organisations or groups that have a proven track record in the field of collaborative and free culture and in the promotion and generation of citizen collaboration and innovation networks in their local environment.
- Anyone who participates in citizens’, cultural, and artistic initiatives on the African continent can apply for the call. This initiative, group or space should be related to transformative, collaborative and artistic practices, particularly aimed at defending the right to the city and to common urban spaces. These practices may have to do with
intervention and action in urban spaces, the establishment of forms and methodologies of collaborative organization, the development of artistic, cultural, design or digital manufacturing practices that reflect on collective creation, or work on recovering or updating artisan crafts.
- Only one person may apply per group or space, by filling in the form you will find in this call. In
total, a maximum of four people will be selected.
Selection Committee: The selection committee consists of the Grigri Pixel team and a representative from Medialab
Assessment of the initiatives: The initiatives will be selected on the basis of the initiative in which the selected person
collaborates, and the proposal submitted. In this way, the committee will assess:
With regard to the initiative:
– Specific objectives with a focus on social change.
– Benefits generated in the communities involved.
– Relationship with the needs of the territory.
With regard to the proposal submitted:
– Originality and degree of innovation of the proposal.
– Coherence between the proposal and the problem or threat detected.
– Optimization of resources, recycling or recirculation of materials and zero waste.
– Use or development of open source tools and licenses that provide free access to the processes and results.
– Recovery of collective memory and traditional knowledge.
Another criterion that the Committee will take into account, will be that of thematic and geographical diversity in the selection of the initiatives as a whole.
Number of Awards: 4 proposals
Value of Award: The organization will look after the travel of those selected from their place of origin to Madrid, as well as their accommodation and living expenses for the duration of the production workshops that will be held in Medialab Prado from 15 to 28 October 2018. Additionally, each person will receive a fee of 500 euros.
Duration of Programme: 15 to 28 October 2018.
How to Apply: Steps to submit the proposal:
- —> Read the introduction about Grigri Pixel here.
- —> Read the Bases for the call in the PDF attached in this page.
- —> Send your project proposal by clicking below in “Send My Proposal” and attach a document (maximum 1200 words) providing a concrete proposal that will serve as a starting point from which to design the workshop, in dialogue with the team of mentors and the other African initiatives that have been selected. This document must include the following information:
- What practices and experiences endeavour to recover common spaces in your city?
- In what way, from the initiative to which you belong, are you trying to create spaces for creativity and encounters in your city?
- What local learning and experiences, in your city, do you think might be applicable and could contribute to the right to the city in Madrid?
- If you had to propose an action and/or object that would materialize these ideas in the public space, what would they be? If you need to incorporate an image, attach it to the attached file box.
Award Providers: Grigri Pixel, Medialab