Deadline Extended: World Bank Group ACE II Masters Scholarships for Female African Students 2018
The ACE II project is proud to announce the ACE II Masters Scholarships. 30 fellowships are available only to women for the 2018/19 academic year.
Application Deadline: 22nd June 2018 (Extended from 4th June (5.00 PM East African Time)
Eligible Countries: ACE II participating countries (Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia) or Burundi
To Be Taken At (Country):
About the Award: The World Bank is partnering with eight Governments in Eastern and Southern Africa in an innovative project with the aim of improving the quality of training and research in higher education, and reducing the skill gaps in key development priority areas.
The Eastern and Southern Africa Higher Education Centers of Excellence (ACE II) Project supports the governments of Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, and Zambia in strengthening selected African Centers of Excellence (ACEs) to deliver quality post-graduate education and build collaborative research capacity in the following priority areas: (i) Industry, (ii) Agriculture, (iii) Health, (iv) Education, and (v) Applied Statistics.
The ACE II Project implements three components, namely (i) strengthening the 24 higher education institutions into regional ACEs in Eastern and Southern Africa in a set of defined regional priority areas (US$ 140 million); (ii) providing capacity building support to these ACEs through regional activities (US$3 million); and (iii) supporting coordination and management of the implementation of components (i) and (ii) (US$5 million).
Eligibility: In order to be eligible for the ACE II Masters Scholarships, applicant must:
- i) be a female national of one of ACE II participating countries (Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia) or Burundi
- ii) be under the age of thirty five (35) years
- iii) be a holder of a Bachelor’s Degree from a reputable university in the relevant field, at the level of Upper Second Class Honours
- iv) have been admitted in any of the 24 ACEs to study full-time in any of the priority disciplines of the ACE II Project: (i) STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) or Industry, (ii) Agriculture, (iii) Health, (iv) Education, and (v) Applied Statistics;
- v) have demonstrated outstanding academic achievement as evidenced by academic transcripts, and academic awards, if any.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The provided financial support for each of the ACE II Masters Scholarships will cover:
- i) University tuition fees: Approximately USD 3,000 per year (payable directly to the Host University according to an official invoice)
- ii) Stipend: USD 800 per month to support living expenses such as housing, food, utilities, local transportation, medication and settlement expenses
- iii) Research: USD 4,800 to support student research, payable upon approval of research proposal
- iv) Allowance: USD 2,000 one-off allowance to cover visa, laptop and books
- v) Air ticket: A round-trip economy fare for the most direct route between the beneficiary’s home country and the study destination of Host University
Duration of Programme: 24 months.
How to Apply: To apply for the ACE II Masters Scholarships, interested candidates are advised to fill in the application form found at
www.iucea.org or ace2.iucea.org attach all requested documents, and send by e-mail to email@example.com with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications must be received not later than 5.00 PM East African Time on June 4 2018.
For proof of eligibility, an applicant should ensure that the following are provided:
- Completed application form
- Recent passport-size photograph
- Summarized CV with names and contacts of two referees
- Certified copies of academic certificates and transcripts
- Certified copies of passport or national identity card indicating citizenship
- Copy of admission letter from one of the host universities (please refer to the attached table on Countries, ACEs and Universities)
Award Providers: World Bank Group, Participating Governments in Eastern and Southern Africa.
Important Notes: Candidates must complete all academic work within the specified period of the programme as the scholarship cannot be extended beyond a maximum of 24 months.
The deadline has been extended from June 4th to June 22, 2018. Please note: In order to promote regional student mobility, the admission must have been obtained from an ACE outside one’s own country of current nationality.