The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) Prizes for Individual Scientists from Developing Countries 2019
Each year the Academy awards nine prizes of USD 15,000 each to individual scientists who have been working and living in a developing country for at least 10 years.
Application Deadline: 15th March 2018
Eligible Countries: Developing countries in the South
To Be Taken At (Country):
About the Award: The TWAS Prizes are awarded to individual scientists from developing countries in recognition of an outstanding contribution to scientific knowledge in nine fields of sciences and/or to the application of science and technology to sustainable development.
Fields of Study: Agricultural Sciences, Biology, Chemistry, Earth, Astronomy and Space Sciences, Engineering Sciences, Mathematics, Medical Sciences, Physics and Social Sciences*
- Candidates for a TWAS Prize must be scientists who have been working and living in a developing country for at least ten years immediately prior to their nomination. They must meet at least one of the following qualifications:
- Scientific research achievement of outstanding significance for the development of scientific thought.
- Outstanding contribution to the application of science and technology to sustainable development.
- Members of TWAS and candidates for TWAS membership are not eligible for TWAS Prizes.
- Self-nominations will not be considered.
- TWAS is inviting nominations from all its members as well as science academies, national research councils, universities and scientific institutions in developing and developed countries.
- Nominations must be made on the on-line nomination form and clearly state the contribution the candidate has made to the development of the particular field of science for which the prize would be awarded.
- Nominations of women scientists and scientists from scientifically lagging countries are particularly encouraged.
- The re-nomination of a previously declined candidate shall be accepted only if it bears substantially new elements for judgment.
Selection: Selection of the awardees is made on scientific merit and on the recommendations of the selection committees composed of TWAS members. The names of the winners will be announced on the first day of the TWAS 14th General Conference and 28th General Meeting to be held in November 2018. The winners will be invited to receive their award and give a talk the following year.
Number of Awards: 9
Value of Award: USD 15,000
How to Apply: The 2019 ‘TWAS Prizes’ nominations can only be submitted electronically through the on-line platform by clicking on the “NEW NOMINATION” button at the bottom of this page.
It is important to go through all application details on the Program Webpage (see Link below) before applying.
Award Providers: The World Academy of Sciences