Call for Proposals: Council of Europe World Forum for Democracy 2017
Is Populism a problem?
The sixth edition of the Council of Europe’s World Forum for Democracy will engage with decision-makers, young people and opinion-formers to review novel initiatives and approaches which can enhance democratic practices and help parties and media, but also other political actors, to re-connect to citizens, make informed choices and function optimally in 21st century democracy.
Application Deadline: Tuesday, 11th July 2017 at CET 13:00 (1 p.m.)
To Be Taken At (Country): France
About the Award: The sixth edition of the Council of Europe’s World Forum for Democracy will engage with decision-makers, young people and opinion-formers to review novel initiatives and approaches which can enhance democratic practices and help parties and media, but also other political actors, to re-connect to citizens, make informed choices and function optimally in 21st century democracy.
The core content of the Forum will consist of discussions about successful initiatives and actions, which have real-life initiatives as a starting point. General guiding principles will then be drawn to encourage and support future policy responses and field action. The draft concept note about the 2017 edition of the World Forum for Democracy can be found here.
In this context, the Youth Department will invite 60 young people to participate and engage with decision-makers and opinion-formers in a reflection on the question of populism: its various forms as well as real stories.
In this edition of the World Forum for Democracy, we wish to invite young people who have been involved either through youth organisations, political parties, political movements or other projects in initiatives related to the question of populism.
For this purpose, applicants should send a 1-minute video (see instructions below) explaining what populism means to them. The video should be inspiring and based on a real-life testimony of how participants themselves are concerned by the topic.
Eligibility: In order to be selected and participate in the World Forum 2017, youth applicants should:
- Be aged 16-30 (exceptions can be made in special cases);
- Be resident in Europe; 15 places will be made available for participants from other regions outside the European continent;
- Be able to communicate and work in English;
- Be actively involved in civil society democracy initiatives;
- Be motivated to contribute to developing new ideas on youth and democracy;
- Be ready to share own challenges faced in relation to populism and its effects on society;
- Be ready to adopt a solution-oriented approach by bringing in new ideas and visions on the question of populism;
- Be available to participate fully in the World Forum for Democracy and the preparation process beforehand.
Number of Awards: 60
Value of Award: Travel and accommodation will be provided for participants. Travel to be reimbursed via bank transfer after the World Forum.
Duration of Program:
Youth training Strasbourg, 6th-7th November 2017
World Forum on Democracy, Strasbourg, 8th-10th November 2017
How to Apply: All candidates must apply in 2 parts:
- An online application form should be completed via this link: http://youthapplications.coe.int/Application-forms
- A short 1 minute video should be posted on YouTube, with the link attached to the online application form (see instructions below).
The application form must be submitted on-line before Tuesday, 11 July 2017 at CET 13:00 (1 p.m.), together with a support letter from your NGO/sending organization if this is appropriate. In case of technical problems with the use of the platform, please send an e-mail to youthapplications[at]coe.int .
Award Providers: Council of Europe