Japan: University of Tsukuba Program in Economic Policy (PEP) Scholarships 2023/2024 for Developing Countries
Applications are open to apply for Program in Economic and Public Policy (PEPP) studies in the University of Tsukuba through the Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program (JJ/WBGSP) of the World Bank.
Application Deadline: 27th January, 2023 (23:59 JST)
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Developing Countries
To be taken at (country): Japan
About the Award: The objective of the Program in Economic and Public Policy (PEPP) is to provide, within the time frame of 24 months, training and the necessary skills for the conception, design, and implementation of development policies. Our focus is on International Development with a trans-disciplinary approach to the economic and social problems of developing countries and former socialist countries.
Eligibility: To apply to PEP by JJ/WBGSP scholarship, applicant must:
- Be a national of a World Bank (WB) member country that is eligible to receive WB financing and not be a national of any country that is not eligible to receive the WB financing.
- Hold a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent and have completed 16 years of school education (up to undergraduate level). A strong background in economics and associated quantitative tools (linear algebra, calculus and basic statistics) is highly recommended.
- Not have received any scholarship funding to earn a Graduate degree or its equivalent from any sources funded by the government of Japan.
- Be employed in a paid and full-time position at the time of the Scholarship Application Deadline unless the applicant is from a country identified in the WB’s “Harmonized List of Fragile Situations.”
- Have, by the time of the Scholarship Application Deadline, at least three (3) years of recent full-time paid professional experience acquired in development-related work after a Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent. If the applicant is from a country identified in the WB’s “Harmonized List of Fragile Situations” at the time of the Scholarship Application Deadline, the recent professional experience does not have to be full-time or paid.
- Be under the age of forty-five (45) at the Scholarship Application Deadline.
- Not be an Executive Director, his/her alternate, staff of the World Bank Group (the World Bank, International Development Association, International Finance Corporation, Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency, and International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes), or a close relative of the aforementioned.
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value of Scholarship: Students who have been given scholarship grants by the Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program (JJ/WBGSP) of the World Bank will enjoy the following benefits:
– Round trip air travel (economy class) between home country and Japan, plus a travel allowance of US$ 500 for each one-way trip
– Full tuition and fees
– A monthly living stipend
– National health insurance
– Other program expenses such as Japanese lessons, educational trips, internship, etc.
How to Apply:
- Check if you meet all application requirements above.
To be eligible to apply for a scholarship, you must fulfil the requirements listed in Parts I and II.
Applicants who are not eligible for scholarships and wish to enroll in PEPP can apply via the PEPP general admission page.