Online Course: From Poverty to Prosperity: Understanding Economic Development by University of Oxford
Learn about the role of government and the key political, social, and economic processes that elevate any society from poverty to prosperity.
Enrolment: Self paced
Timeline: 6 weeks @ 2-3 hours per week
Skill Level: Intermediate
Course of Study: Economic & Finance| Course Platform: edX
Created by: University of Oxford
About the Course
How can poor societies become prosperous and overcome obstacles to do so? Professor Sir Paul Collier is one of the world’s leading scholars on this question, and in this economics course you will have the opportunity to learn from him directly.
This course will discuss and examine the following topics:
- The role of government and the key political, social and economic processes that affect development;
- Why societies need polities that are both centralised and inclusive, and the process by which these polities develop;
- The social factors that are necessary for development, including the importance of identities, norms, and narratives;
- The impact of economic processes on development, including discussion about how government policies can either promote or inhibit the exploitation of scale and specialisation;
- The external conditions for development, including aid, trade, migration, military interventions, and international rules for governance.
Enrol in this course to understand the factors that influence economic development and the different development paths that countries across the world have taken.
Anyone interested to:
- Identify internal political, social, and economic factors that influence development;
- Understand how external influences can impact the internal political, social, and economic processes;
- Understand the varied paths of development that different countries have taken;
- Apply the concepts learned by completing an assignment that requires you to compare the development path of two chosen countries.
Certificate offered? Yes
How to Enrol
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
Top 10 Most Useful University Degrees for the Future
Studying in Canada vs USA Which is better Study Abroad Comparison
7 Things You Didn’t Know About the Richest Black Man in the World