Abel Visiting Scholar Program 2019 for Mathematics PhD Scholars in Developing Countries
The Niels Henrik Abel Board and the International Mathematical Union invite applications from mathematicians professionally based in developing countries to visit an international research collaborator for a period of one month.
Application Deadline: 1st April, 2019 for research visits between September 1, 2019 – December 31, 2019
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Developing Countries
About the Award: The program is designed for post doctoral mathematicians in the early stages of their professional careers. It is designed to offer the opportunity for a ‘research sabbatical,’ a necessary complement to teaching and other academic duties for mathematicians desiring to also sustain a viable research program.
Eligibility: Applicants must
1. hold at the time of application a PhD in Mathematics,
2. be based in a developing country at the time of application
3. hold a position in a university/ research institution
4. be in the early stages of their professional careers, more precisely: the applicants should
4. 1) not yet be of full professorial rank but have a working contract in a university/ college
4. 2) be under 40 years of age at the day of the application deadline.
The maximum age may be increased by up to three years in the case of an individual with a broken career pattern (applicants who wish to apply for the April 30, 2017 deadline should be born on or after August, 31, 1974). This should be noted in the application together with the reason for the broken career pattern.
Applications from women mathematicians are strongly encouraged.
Selection Criteria: The selection criteria is based on the the quality of the project and the benefit/added value for the home institution/country.
Selection: A selection committee decides which applications are successful.
The Selection Committee consists of
- a) a member chosen by the Abel board
- b) a member chosen by CDC
- c) a third member chosen by the IMU EC
The time of members of the committee is three years for the members b) and c) with a maximum of two periods. The Abel Board decides for a).
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value of Scholarship: The grant can cover for one month and only for the applicant:
- travel costs to the host institution (economy flight or equivalent) Please note that the flight will be booked and directly paid by the IMU Secretariat.
- accommodation expenses (monthly rent should not exceed 1,200 USD – in case you expect higher accommodation cost, please explain in your application the expected higher cost)
- travel health insurance
- Basic living cost (daily allowance based on living cost of the visiting country/city, This amount includes the cost for public transport and all other living costs). For a list please go here.
- visa costs
The total maximum amount is 5,000 USD per grantee.
Family expenses and any other costs cannot be covered.
Duration of Scholarship: 1 month. In case the length of the visit exceeds one month, the candidate should provide evidence of financial support from the host institution to cover the living expenses beyond the first month.
How to Apply: Each application must include:
- The completed Online Application Form
- A curriculum vitae including a list of recent publications
- A research plan for the visit
- An official invitation from the institution of the international research partner
- One letter of recommendation If the letter of recommendation is not written by the international research partner (the host), the application should include a statement from the host approving the research plan.
- A copy of the PhD certificate
- A statement about the current employment status/ position in the home institution signed and stamped by your employer. The statement should include the duration of your employment
- A budget estimation. Please, use the Tentative Budget Form. (for more information see ‘Financial Support’)
- In case you are planning to stay for more than one month you must attached a proof of the matching funds for your living costs from the host institution
- Please submit the completed bank information form in order to receive your funds.
Please merge all required documents into one (1) PDF file.
Please always send your application form cc to “email@example.com”.