US Government TechWomen Program 2020 for Women in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) Fields
The TechWomen initiative will identify 100 women in STEM fields from countries in Africa, Central and South Asia, and the Middle East to participate in the 2020 program.
Application Deadline: 15th January, 2020 09:00AM PST (GMT-08:00)
Eligible Countries: Algeria, Cameroon, Egypt, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Morocco, Nigeria, Pakistan, the Palestinian Territories, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan or Zimbabwe.
To be taken at (country): USA
Eligible Field of Study: Any STEM fields
About the Award: From the moment the Emerging Leaders arrive, they are immersed in the innovative, constantly evolving culture of Silicon Valley and the San Francisco Bay Area. Emerging Leaders work closely with their Professional Mentors to design meaningful projects while exploring the San Francisco Bay Area with their Cultural Mentor and fellow program participants.
TechWomen Emerging Leaders will:
- Challenge themselves with new questions and concepts
- Collaborate with like-minded women in their fields on an innovative project
- Network with influential industry leaders
- Discover their own innovative leadership style
- Create meaningful friendships with women from all over the world
- Explore the diverse communities of the San Francisco Bay Area and Washington, D.C.
- Inspire the next generation of women and girls in their home countries
Type: Training, Fellowship
Eligibility: Applicants must
- Be women with, at minimum, two years full-time professional experience in the STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) fields. Please note that internships and other unpaid work experience does not count toward the two-year professional experience requirement.
- Have, at minimum, a bachelor’s degree/four-year university degree or equivalent.
- Be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Be citizens and permanent residents of Algeria, Cameroon, Egypt, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Morocco, Nigeria, Pakistan, the Palestinian Territories, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan or Zimbabwe at the time of application and while participating in the program.
- Be eligible to obtain a U.S. J-1 exchange visitor visa.
- Not have applied for an immigrant visa to the United States (other than the Diversity Immigrant Visa, also known as the “visa lottery”) in the past five years.
- Not hold U.S. citizenship or be a U.S. legal permanent resident.
Preference will be given to applicants who
- Demonstrate themselves as emerging leaders in their chosen professional track through their work experience, volunteer experience, community activities and education.
- Are committed to return to their home countries to share what they have learned and mentor women and girls.
- Have limited or no prior experience in the United States.
- Have a proven record of voluntary or public service in their communities.
- Have a demonstrated track record of entrepreneurialism and commitment to innovation.
- Demonstrate a willingness to participate in exchange programs, welcome opportunities for mentoring and new partnership development, and exhibit confidence and maturity.
TechWomen encourages people with diverse backgrounds and skills to apply, including individuals with disabilities.
Selection: TechWomen participants are selected based on the eligibility requirements above. Applications are reviewed by independent selection committees composed of industry leaders and regional experts. Semifinalists may be interviewed by United States Embassy personnel in their country of permanent residence.
Number of Awardees: 100 women
Value of Scholarship: International travel, housing, meals and incidentals, local transportation and transportation to official TechWomen events are covered by the TechWomen program. Participants are responsible for the cost of any non-program activities in which they wish to partake, such as independent sightseeing and non-program-related travel.
Duration of Scholarship: The 2020 TechWomen program will occur over five weeks from September – October 2020. Due to the fast-paced nature of the program, arrival and departure dates are not flexible.
How to Apply: CLICK HERE TO APPLY
- Interested TechWomen participants should apply based on the application requirements in link below.