Brief description: KAS Media Africa is offering a university scholarship to a promising, young (under 30) sub-Saharan African journalist to do a full-time Honours or Masters Degree at the University of Witwatersrand’s Journalism Programme in Johannesburg in 2017.
Application Deadline: 31st August 2016.
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: All African countries
To be taken at (country): University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Eligible Field of Study:
About the Award: The Media Programme Sub-Saharan Africa has been in business since 2002 as part of the KAS’ global Media Programme.
Acting within the advancement of democracy and the formation of opinion, our activities concentrate on a regional bias and its multilateral approach. Our aim is to cross-link media’s local stakeholders to one another as they acquire knowledge and an understanding for their neighbouring countries and also learn from the methods, working processes and experiences of their colleagues in order to implement them in their own local or national environment (best practice).
Offered Since: 2002
Type: Bachelors, Masters Degrees
- Candidates should be under 30 years old, working as a journalist in a sub-Saharan African country and fluent in English.
- For Honours, candidates must have at least three years’ working experience and either an undergraduate degree or pass an entrance test.
- For Masters, candidates must have a degree equivalent to the BA Honours in Journalism (or related field) and at least three years’ working experience.
- Candidates must work closely with KAS Media Africa during their stay in Johannesburg and write a bi-monthly narrative report on their study progress.
- Candidates should make themselves available in mid-September for an interview by skype or telephone and be willing to sit a test exam.
- The decision on the award will be made before the end of September 2016.
- Successful candidates will be expected to complete an online student application and supply all the necessary documentation, including a SAQA assessment.
- The application for a student visa will be the responsibility of the candidate, who must begin the process before mid-November 2016.
- The academic year starts in the beginning of Feb 2017, and ends with the submission of research in November or the following February. The successful candidate should plan to travel in late January 2017.
Number of Awardees: 1
Value of Scholarship: The scholarship includes:
- University fees
- Return flight to Johannesburg
- Monthly stipend of 5 000 ZAR
- Accommodation fees for student housing
- A one-time payment of 2 500 ZAR for study material
Duration of Scholarship: Duration of course
How to Apply: Candidates need to submit:
- A motivation letter
- A CV
- Writing samples
- At least 2 letters of nomination/reference by a senior journalist, publisher or academic
Award Provider: Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung (KAS) Media Africa