Mo Ibrahim Foundation University of London PhD Scholarships for African Students 2019/2020
The Centre of African Studies, School of African Studies(SOAS) University of London offers 2 PhDs to African nationals as part of the Governance for Development in Africa Initiative funded by the Mo Ibrahim Foundation.
Application Deadline: 31st March 2019.
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: African countries
To be taken at (country): University of London, UK
Fields of Study: The eligible PhD are only those within the following departments:
- Development Studies
- International Relations/Politics
- CISD (Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy)
- DEFIMS (Department for Financial and Management Studies )
- Distance Learning: CEFIMS(Centre for Financial and Management Studies), DEFIMS
About the Award: The Centre of African Studies at SOAS, University of London, is pleased to announce the extension of the Governance for Development in Africa Initiative, funded by the Mo Ibrahim Foundation, for another three years, until 2021. The focus of the project remains the same in terms of creating a dedicated environment to support the study of the socio-economic, political, and legal links between governance and development.
The Mo Ibrahim Foundation has generously provided SOAS with two PhD scholarships every year for African students undertaking a full‐time PhD and Masters programme in the field of Governance for Development in Africa.
- Candidates must be domiciled (or permanent residents) in an African country.
- Preference will be given to scholarship candidates living in Sub‐Saharan Africa.
Selection Criteria: Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a panel consisting of SOAS academic members. The assessment of your application will be based on the information in your scholarship application.
Number of Awardees: 2
Value of Scholarship:
- PhD: The scholarship is on a part‐present form and it provides for fees for three years. However, accommodation and living cost are covered for the first year only.
- The scholarship will also cover in total 2 return flights : one during the first year, and one for the viva (plus one week’s accommodation around the viva).
- In year 2 and year 3, the successful candidate will also receive an annual stipend of £5,000.
- We also cover visa cost, provided receipts are submitted to the Centre of African Studies office.
- We expect students to be on fieldwork during the second year, and to write the thesis in the third year in their country of origin.
Duration of Scholarship: 3 years
How to Apply:
- In order to be considered for funding, applicants must first secure an UNCONDITIONAL OFFER for the PhD by applying directly to the SOAS Doctoral School.
- Once the place is secured, the applicants can apply for the scholarship.
- The guidance notes and the reference form can be downloaded on the right hand side of the Program Webpage (See Link below).
Award Provider: Mo Ibrahim Foundation, School of Africa Studies (SOAS) University of London
Important Notes: Please note that CAS reserves the right not to award scholarships and will only award them where there are applicants judged to meet sufficiently high academic standards and with demonstrable interests in fields relevant to the objectives of the GDAI.