The United Nations Correspondents Association (UNCA) invites media worldwide to submit entries for its 25th annual UNCA Awards for the best print, broadcast (TV & Radio) and online, web-based media coverage of the United Nations, U.N. agencies and field operations.
Application Deadline: 15th September, 2021
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: All countries
To be Taken at: Winners will be honored at a Gala event with U.N. Secretary-General in 6th December 2019, at Cipriani Wall Street, New York, USA.
About the Award: The UNCA will give a total of Three(3) Awards to outstanding journalists.
Awards: The following awards will be presented to journalists for their outstanding work in journalism:
- The Elizabeth Neuffer Memorial Prize, sponsored by the Alexander Bodini Foundation, for written media (including online media). The prize is for print and online coverage of the U.N. and U.N. agencies, named in honor of Elizabeth Neuffer, The Boston Globe bureau chief at the U.N., who died while on an assignment in Baghdad in 2003.
- The Ricardo Ortega Memorial Prize, for broadcast (TV & Radio) media. The prize is for broadcast coverage of the U.N. and U.N. agencies, named in honor of Ricardo Ortega, formerly the New York correspondent for Antena 3 TV of Spain, who died while on an assignment in Haiti in 2004.
- The Prince Albert II of Monaco and UNCA Global Prize for coverage of Climate Change. The prize is for print (including online media) and broadcast media (TV & Radio) for coverage of sustainable and equitable management of natural resources and the implementation of innovative and ethical solutions in three main categories: climate change, biodiversity, and water.
Offered Since: 1995
- Coverage of the U.N. and U.N. agencies is specified in each category; the committee welcomes coverage of all issues particularly on the Sustainable Development Goals for 2030, peacekeeping operations and nonproliferation, including the elimination of nuclear, chemical and biological weapons.
- Work in print, broadcast (TV & Radio), and online coverage must be published between September 2019 and August 2021.
- Entries can be submitted in any of the official U.N. languages (English, French, Arabic, Chinese, Spanish, and Russian).
- Each candidate can submit to no more than two (2) prize categories, with a maximum of three (3) stories in each. Joint entries are accepted.
- A written transcript in English or French will facilitate the judging process.
- The judges will look for entries with impact, insight and originality, and will take into account the courage and investigative and reporting skills of the journalists. Entries from the developing world media are particularly welcome.
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value of Award: Over $60,000 to be distributed among the prize categories and winners.
How to Apply:
- Entries are submitted online by completing the UNCA Awards Entry Form.
On the first page, please complete your personal information and bio and upload your photo, then proceed to submit your work electronically by including web links and or/uploading files directly to the Entry Form.