UNHCR Essay Contest Award for Research on Forced Displacement in Africa 2019
UNHCR and Addis Ababa University’s Centre for Human Rights (CHR-AAU) invite African university students at the graduate (Masters or Doctoral) level to submit research essays on the topic of forced displacement in Africa to an essay competition being held in connection with the African Union’s (AU) theme of 2019: ‘The Year of Refugees, Returnees and Internally Displaced Persons: Towards Durable Solutions for Forced Displacement in Africa’ and to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the adoption of the Organization of African Unity Convention Governing the Specific Aspects of Refugee Problems in Africa and the 10th anniversary of the adoption of the AU Convention for the Protection and Assistance of Internally Displaced Persons in Africa (Kampala Convention).
Application Deadline: 31st December 2019 17:00 Addis Ababa time
Eligible Countries: All African countries
To be taken at (country): Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
About the Award: Any research essay of no more than 3,000 words (including any cover page, table of contents, footnotes, bibliography, etc…) that offers a clear contribution on the topic of refugees and/or IDPs in Africa. Research may come from any relevant discipline (including but not limited to economics, geography, history, law, philosophy, politics or sociology), or may be interdisciplinary. The research may be theoretical, or it may incorporate empirical/field research findings.
Type: Contest, Research
Eligibility: To enter, as of the deadline (31 December 2019), you must be:
- Aged 18 or over;
- A national of, or ordinarily resident in, an AU member state; and
- Registered at the graduate (Masters or Doctoral) level at a recognised university in an AU member state.
Additionally, your essay:
- Must be written in English;
- Must be endorsed by a faculty member from your university; and
- May have been submitted for course credit or prepared exclusively for this competition.
Selection Criteria: The internal and expert juries will judge entries by the following criteria:
- Quality of writing;
- Quality of research;
- Timeliness and importance of topic; and
- Contribution to increasing understanding of forced displacement in Africa.
Number of Awards: not specified
Value of Award: The winning essay will be published on-line by UNHCR and CHR-AAU and the winner will receive a prize of US$1,000. Winners will be announced in May 2020.
- Your full name;
- Your date of birth;
- Your phone number and email address;
- Your nationality or country of habitual residence;
- The name of the university where you are registered;
- Proof of registration; and
- An endorsement in PDF format of no more than 200 words written by a faculty member from your university.
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
25 Things You Did Not Know About Studying In India
This One Skill Will Secure Your Future – And How To “Learn” It
Top 10 High Paying IT Certifications for 2020