Scholarship Name: VLIR-UOS Scholarships for Training and Master Programmes in Flanders, Belgium
VLIR-UOS offers 180 Masters & 70 training Scholarships in Belgium for students from Developing countries – 50% of scholarships will be offered to African students and almost 50% for Women. The eligible training or master programmes are taught in English.
Accepted Subject Areas?
Only the training or master programmes listed below are eligible for scholarship award. All the programmes are organized at a Belgian Dutch speaking university, but taught in English.
International Master Programmes 2014 – 2015
- Master of Science in Development Evaluation and Management
- Master of Science in Globalisation and Development
- Master of Science in Governance and Development
- Master of Science in Human Settlements
International Master Programmes 2014-2016
- Master of Science in Aquaculture
- Master of Science in Biology – Specialisation Human Ecology
- Master of Science in Statistics – Specialisation Biostatistics
- Master of Science in Environmental Sanitation
- Master of Science in Marine and Lacustrine Science and Management (Oceans & Lakes)
- Master of Science in Molecular Biology (IPMB)
- Master of Science in Nematology
- Master of Science in Nutrition and Rural Development
- Master of Science in Physical Land Resources
- Master of Science in Food Technology
- Master of Science in Water Resources Engineering
International Training Programmes 2014
- Lib@Web : Management of Electronic Information and Digital Libraries
- AudioVisual Learning Materials – Media and Learning Unit (AVLM)
- Human Rights for Development (‘HR4DEV’)
- Road safety in Low and Middle-Income Countries: Challenges and Strategies for Improvement
- Technology for Integrated Water Management
- Dairy Nutrition
- International Training Programme in Food Safety, Quality Assurance Systems and Risk Analysis
VLIR-UOS awards scholarships to students from developing countries to study for a master or training programme in Flanders, Belgium. VLIR-UOS funds and facilitates academic cooperation and exchange between higher education institutions in Flanders (Belgium) and those in developing countries, which aims at building capacity, knowledge and experience for a sustainable development.
The master programmes focus on specific problems of developing countries. These are designed to enable graduates to share and apply acquired knowledge in the home institution and country. In the shorter training programmes the focus is on transferring skills rather than knowledge, thus creating opportunities for cooperation and networking.
Scholarship Offered Since: Not Specified
- Professional experience is not required for a master programme, but is a competitive advantage for selection, depending on the programme.
- Present employment/reintegration perspectives are not required for a master programme, but is a competitive advantage for selection, depending on the programme.
Required for a training programme
- The candidate must be currently employed or have a written (future) employer’s guarantee of (re)integration in an organization where the acquired knowledge and skills will be immediately applicable.
- In case of two equally qualified candidates of different sexes, preference will be given to the female candidate. The selection commission will aim at a parity or relative balance between the number of men and the number of women awarded a VLIR-UOS scholarship.
- The selection commission will try to ensure that 50% of a programme’s scholarships are granted to candidates from sub-Saharan Africa.
- In case of two equally qualified candidates, preference will be given to candidates from a disadvantaged area within their country or ethnic or social minority group, especially when these candidates can provide proof of leadership potential.
You can apply for a scholarship if you meet the following requisites:
- You are a resident AND national of one of the countries listed from the link below (not necessarily the same country for residence and nationality). Please note that candidates must reside in one of these countries at the moment of application. The DGD country list for admissible nationalities: Africa; Asia; Latin America.
- You are not older than 40years if you apply for a scholarship to follow a master programme. Or you are not older than 45 years if you apply for a scholarship to follow a training programme.
Number of Scholarships: VLIR-UOS will award 180 scholarships to first-year master students and 70 scholarships to training participants.
Scholarship Benefits: The scholarship covers all related expenses (full cost).
Duration of Scholarship: The master programmes will last for one or two academic years while the shorter training programmes will last one to four months,
Eligible Developing Countries
Africa: Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, DR Congo, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Kenya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Morocco, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa,
Asia: Bangladesh, Cambodia, Philippines, India, Indonesia, Jordan, Laos, Nepal, Palestinian Territories, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Vietnam,
Latin America: Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Haiti, Mexico, Nicaragua, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay
To be taken at (country): Belgium
Master programme: 1 February 2014
Training programme: check programme website
Offered annually? Yes
How to Apply
Visit Scholarship webpage for more details
The Flemish Interuniversity Council (VLIR) responsible actor for the Belgian government
All scholars are obliged to return to their country of origin as soon as possible after the study or training programme has ended.
Candidates selected for a VLIR-UOS scholarship will be contacted by VLIR-UOS the latest mid June 2014.