Postgraduate scholarship for Southern African Women to study Media Management and Leadership by the Open Society Initiative for South Africa (OSISA) 2017
Application Deadline: 18th November 2016.
Eligible Countries for Scholarship: Students (women) from the following Southern African Countries
Angola, Botswana, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe
About the Award: Southern African Women Media Leaders who wish to study media management and leadership at the Rhodes University’s Sol Plaatje Institute (SPI), South Africa for Media Leadership are invited to apply for postgraduate scholarships 2017 offered by the Open Society Initiative for Southern Africa (OSISA).
Successful scholarship applicants will register for the SPI’s one- year, fulltime Postgraduate Diploma in Media Management (PDMM), the only university-level media management course in Africa.
The postgraduate scholarships, sponsored by the Open Society Initiative for Southern Africa (OSISA), are for women media leaders in OSISA’s 10 Southern African countries which include Angola, Botswana, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
The Sol Plaatje Institute for Media Leadership is a pioneering media management institute of Rhodes University’s School of Journalism and Media Studies. It educates and trains high-level media managers and leaders for and from across Africa through delivering unique, innovative and Africa-contextualised courses and training programmes. All of the Institute’s courses and training programmes are fully accredited and certificated.
- Only female students from OSISA’s 10 countries of Southern Africa are eligible to apply for these scholarships.
- Applicants should ideally come from media companies.
- Successful applicants will be required on completion of the PDMM to return to their employers in their home countries to work there for a period of at least a year in partial fulfilment of having been granted the scholarship.
- Applicants should ideally have completed an undergraduate degree from a recognised university.
- Experienced media practitioners with diplomas in journalism or mass communication studies will also be considered.
Value of Scholarship:
- The full cost of tuition
- Accommodation and meals in one of Rhodes University’s residences
- Course materials
- A monthly subsistence allowance
- Medical aid cover
- Mid-year media management internship costs.
Employers of the successful scholarship applicants or the scholarship winners themselves have to cover their travel costs to and from Rhodes University, including during the University’s holidays, to encourage greater ownership and appreciation of the scholarship programme by the beneficiaries and their media organizations.
How to Apply:
Students wishing to apply for these scholarships need to:
• Complete the Rhodes University’s standard Honours Application form (available at www.ru.ac.za/applying/ under the section ‘Postgraduate Studies’ which must be submitted directly to the Registrar’s Division at Rhodes University and a copy emailed to Wendy Dyibishe ([email protected]) at the Sol Plaatje Institute.
• Submit a detailed Curriculum Vitae, including contact details, to Wendy Dyibishe.
• Submit certified academic transcripts of ALL tertiary qualifications. These are sent to both Wendy Dyibishe at the SPI and to the Registrar’s Division at Rhodes University; and
• Submit to the SPI — through Wendy Dyibishe at [email protected] — a 1,000-word letter of motivation which explains why the student is interested in doing the PGDip in Media Management, how the course will assist the student’s career and why the student believes she qualifies for the OSISA scholarship.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted after the applications close at 12 mid-day (Southern African Time) on 18 November 2016.
For more details about this scholarship View scholarship details