The Science by Women programme will fund a total of 10 six-month visiting senior research fellowships for ten experienced African women researchers in any of the following international research centres in Spain below.
Application Deadline: 20th September 2017
Eligible Countries: African Countries
To Be Taken At (Country/university): Spain
- Spanish National Biotechnology Centre
- Institute of Photonic Sciences
- Institute of Mathematical Sciences
- Barcelona Graduate School of Economics
- Centre for Genomic Regulation
- Vall d´Hebron Institut de Recerca
- Institute for Neuroscience
- Kronikgune Research Center
- Biocruces (bc)
Eligible Fields of Study: The preferred areas of research include:
- Health and Bio-medicine
- Energy, Water and Climate Change
- Agriculture and Food Safety
- Mathematics, Information and Communication Technologies
- Economic Science
About the Award: Following the success of 1st and 2nd Edition, the Women for Africa Foundation (FMxA), in line with its mission of contributing to the development of Africa through its women, is launching the 3rd Edition of SCIENCE BY WOMEN programme, with the aim to promote African women’s leadership in scientific research and technology transfer and to foster the capacity of the research centres in their home countries.
The main goal is to enable African women researchers and scientists to tackle the great challenges faced by Africa through research in Health and biomedicine, agriculture and food security, water, energy and climate change, mathematics, Information and Communication Technologies as well as Economic Sciences.
- Being a woman
- Nationality of an African country.
- PhD with at least 3 years of post-doctoral professional experience
- Contractual relationship with a university or a public or private non-profit organization based in Africa dedicated to significant scientific research in the areas indicated
- Excellent academic record and proven track of relevant research experience
- Solid working knowledge of English
- Proven experience leading a research group
Beneficiaries of first and second edition are not eligible. Candidates must have already contacted and identified research groups in the host centres to confirm that their proposed research can be carried out in collaboration with those research groups and, when needed, in their laboratories.
Selection Criteria: Applications will be subjected to a highly competitive selection process by the Women for Africa Foundation’s Scientific Committee. The jury will evaluate the following criteria:
- The candidate’s research career, curriculum vitae and experience as independent research group leader.
- The project’s scientific -technical quality and innovative potential.
- The expected and measurable economic or social impact of the research project.
- The candidate’s plan to communicate and disseminate the project’s results.
- The proper consideration of ethical issues where appropriate.
Successful applicants will present innovative research projects that respond to the needs of African populations and that are likely to be transferred into products or patents for commercial exploitation, or services and public policies which have a social impact in terms of people’s welfare and quality of life, as well as an economic impact in terms of companies’ productivity and competitiveness.
Number of Awards: 10
Value of Award: Successful candidates will have access to the following benefits:
- Flight from their centre of origin to the host institution and back
- Living allowance of 2.400 Euros gross per month to cover accommodation, personal expense and health and occupational accident insurance coverage.
Duration of Program: 6 months
How to Apply: Only applications submitted in English via the Science by Women microsite at www.mujeresporafrica.es will be accepted. They must include the following documents:
- Letter of Interest (max. 1 page)
- Full curriculum vitae • Fully filled form
- Brief but concise description of the project to be developed in the Spanish
- host centre (max. 2 pages)
- A letter of the prospective host group’s stating its interest to support the project proposed by the candidate.
Award Providers: Women for Africa Foundation (FMxA)