The Center of Excellence in Sustainable Agriculture and Agribusiness Management (CESAAM) at Egerton University (Kenya) seeks to offer limited competitive Masters and PhD scholarships to eligible applicants from Kenyan, Uganda, Rwanda, Tanzania, South Sudan, and Burundi.
Application Deadline: 30th April, 2017.
Offered Annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Kenyan, Uganda, Rwanda, Tanzania, South Sudan, and Burundi.
To be taken at (country): Egerton University, Kenya
About the Award: Food insecurity and poverty remain the major challenges to Africa’s development, affecting about 33% of its population. One key approach in addressing Africa’s food insecurity is to build capacity along the agricultural value chains. The Centre of Excellence in Sustainable Agriculture and Agribusiness Management (CESAAM) at Egerton University (Kenya), funded by World Bank is modeled to address the above issues. The broad objective of CESAAM is to contribute to sustainable agricultural and agribusiness management through capacity development, research and technology transfer for enhanced food security. The fellowships will therefore support students training and research in field addressing sustainable agriculture and agribusiness management. Key focus areas include Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness Management, Animal Sciences, Crop and Soil Sciences, Dairy and Food Sciences.
Type: Masters, PhD
- Applicants must meet the admission criteria for postgraduate programmes of Egerton University.
- MSc applicants must have attained at least a Second Class Honours (Upper Division) or equivalent in relevant agricultural science or related field.
- PhD applicants must have successfully completed masters or equivalent in a relevant agricultural science or related field.
- Applicants must submit a recommendation letter from their Head of Department, Dean or Principal of the specified institution collaborating with the CESAAM center.
- Qualified women are encouraged to apply and will be given priority.
Preference will be given to students from the following institutions that are key partners in the project:
- University of Rwanda, Rwanda
- University of Juba, South Sudan
- University of Burundi, Burundi
- Gulu University, Uganda
- Egerton University, Kenya
- Kenya Agricultural and Livestock Research Organization, Kenya
- BecA ILRI
Female applicants and students from countries emerging from conflict will be given special consideration.
Number of Scholarships: Not specified
Value of Scholarship: This is a comprehensive scholarship that will cover tuition fees, thesis research costs, stipend (to cover living expenses and hostel) and a return air-ticket for applicants from outside Kenya and Uganda.
Duration of Scholarship: The Awardees for the MSc programmes will be on a two year full time study while the PhD awardees will be on a three year full-time study programme.
How to Apply: Interested candidates may apply either online, or by post enclosing their applications in envelope marked CESAAM programmes, to the addressees below. The applicant must submit the following documents:
- Application cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Certified copies of transcripts and certificates
- For PhD applicants, a concept note of not more than 4 pages stipulating research area of interest
N/B: The deadline for applying for the scholarships is April 30, 2017.
Award Provider: Egerton University