The Alliance for Health Policy & Systems Research is pleased to announce its first ever essay competition on the future of health policy and systems research. The winning paper will be published as a background paper for a high level conference on “Health Policy and Systems Research: 20 years on” that will take place in Stockholm Sweden, in April 2017.
Application Deadline: 31st January, 2017
Eligible Countries: Low and Middle Income Countries
To be taken at (country): Stockholm, Sweden
About the Award: Much has changed in the 20 years since the WHO Ad-Hoc Committee on Health Research highlighted the need to strengthen Health Policy and Systems Research which was followed by an international consultation in Lejondal, Sweden in 1997 that led to the establishment of the Alliance for Health Policy and Systems Research (AHPSR).
Today as the world transitions from the MDGs to the SDGs, and in light of recent crises resulting from outbreaks, disasters, and conflicts, the need for health policy and systems research in ensuring resilient health systems and improving health is increasingly recognized. How the field can continue to evolve to respond to these and other needs, as well as the role that international entities can play in shaping this evolution, is the topic to be addressed by this essay.
In no more than 5000 words, essays – written in English, should:
- reflect on the role and contributions of Health Policy and Systems Research in strengthening health systems and future challenges in the context of Agenda 2030;
- identify strategies and innovative approaches to ensure the greater use of health policy and systems research by relevant actors and stakeholders; and
- explore opportunities to further strengthen the position and role of the Alliance for Health Policy & Systems Research in advancing the field.
Type: Essay contest
Eligibility: Teams of 3-5 persons from different disciplinary backgrounds are encouraged to contribute to this essay.
In order to be eligible, teams must be made up of:
- At least two different disciplinary backgrounds
- A mix of genders
- The lead author must not be more than 35 years of age at the date of submission and must be a national (citizen) of a low- or middle-income country.
- Teams led by women are strongly encouraged to apply
Selection Criteria: Submissions will be reviewed by a panel comprising independent researchers, decision-makers, as well as members of the Alliance HPSR Board, Scientific & Technical Advisory Committee (STAC) and Secretariat. Essays will be judged based on:
- Quality and coherence of argument made
- Novelty of approach proposed
- Clarity in depicting the role of health policy and systems research
- Evidence used to support proposals, positions, and perspectives presented in paper
Value of Contest:
The winning paper will be published as a background paper for a high level conference on “Health Policy and Systems Research: 20 years on” that will take place in Stockholm Sweden, in April 2017.
In addition, a cash prize of USD 7,500 will be awarded to the authors of the winning paper. Prizes of USD 2,500 and USD 1,000 will be awarded to the authors of the 2nd and 3rd place papers.
How to Apply: All submissions must be sent to the [email protected] by the deadline above.
Award Provider: The Alliance for Health Policy & Systems Research